With the support of a donator within the Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft
CAS Sofia is an independent Institute with international and multidisciplinary profile. Located in Sofia, Bulgaria, it promotes high-level scholarship in the social sciences and the humanities. In addition to supporting focus-group research, CAS Sofia invites outstanding scholars to pursue their individual research projects during in-residence periods of up to five months. The invited Fellows participate in the intellectual life and the scholarly community of the Centre (Bulgarian and foreign fellows) while working on projects of their own choice. Fellows receive adequate material and intellectual support and can profit from the Centre’s wide international networks, international seminar- and guest-lecturer programme. CAS Sofia assists Fellows in all practical matters concerning travel, residence and research in Sofia.
For the academic year 2012/2013 CAS Sofia provides in-residence fellowships of two- to five- month duration to post-doctoral non-Bulgarian researchers. Junior as well as Senior scholars are invited to apply.
The selected Fellows are entitled to:
- A monthly stipend of 700 euro (liable to 10% income tax) to cover living expenses related to the stay in Sofia.
- Accommodation in Sofia, comprising living quarters and working space. The Fellows will also have free access to the CAS library and electronic resources/databases.
- Travel allowance (400 euro)
- Research expenses (100 euro p.m.)
DURATION AND CONDITIONS
Candidates must indicate the preferred fellowship duration and its starting date within the following periods:
I. 1 March 2012 - 31 July 2012
II. 1 October 2012 - 28 February 2013
The selected Fellows will take part in the regular Fellow seminars and the other scientific events organized by the Centre (workshops, conferences, lectures, etc.) and are invited to present and discuss their project in lectures or seminars. The results of their work shall be summarized in a paper (in English), to be published in the electronic CAS Working Paper Series.
- Be non-Bulgarian citizens;
- Have completed a PhD in the fields of the humanities and social sciences;
- International research experience (participation in projects and refereed conferences) and publications in peer-reviewed academic editions are strong advantages.
As an international academic institution CAS conducts most of its work in English which is also the language of the presentations of research results. Therefore, a good command of English is highly desirable.
Please carefully consider these two documents when preparing your application. They can be downloaded also from www.cas.bg.
For Junior scholars (up to 12 years after PhD defense) only: two letters of recommendation by scholars familiar with the applicant’s academic work should be faxed/mailed/emailed to CAS by the referees.
Extensions to this period may be allowed in case of eligible career breaks which must be properly documented (maternity leave, long-term illness leave, national service).
All application documents should be presented in English and sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject entry “Advanced Academia Fellowships”
Deadline for applications: October 1, 2011
- High quality of the candidate’s academic portfolio and publications, participation in international research;
- Innovative research proposal with significant contribution;
- Interdisciplinary and/or comparative approaches are an advantage.
The selection will be carried out by the international Academic Council of CAS based on evaluation of the potential of the candidate relative to his/her career stage and the quality of the proposed project. In some special cases candidates may be invited for an interview. The results will be announced by the end of January 2012 by e-mail and at the website of the institute: http://www.cas.bg/.
The Academic Council reserves the right, in cases of candidatures with equal quality, to grant advantage to candidates that have not been CAS Fellows within the preceding 3 years / have not repeatedly held CAS fellowships in the past.
CONTACT PERSON AND MAILING ADDRESS
Ms Neliya Kolarska, e-mail: email@example.com
Centre for Advanced Study Sofia; Sofia 1000, 7-B, Stefan Karadja Str,
tel.: + 359 2 9803704 / fax: + 359 2 9803662
For more information, please visit official website: www.cas.bg.
- Perso-Indica Visiting Fellowships, Université Sorbonne Nouvelle, France
- Postdoctoral Position, Research Center of Applied Sciences (RCAS), Academia Sinica, Taiwan
- Graduate Student Fellowships, University of Notre Dame, USA
- Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. Research Fellowships, John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, USA
- Doctoral Fellowship Program in Law and Social Science by American Bar Foundation, USA
- Mendel Fellowships, The Lilly Library of Indiana University, USA
- Graduate and Postdoctoral Fellowships in Ocean Observation, Modeling and Data Assimilation, Dalhousie University, Canada
- Reagan-Fascell Democracy Fellowship, National Endowment for Democracy (NED), USA
- Asian Graduate Student Fellowships, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore
- Robert L Platzman Memorial Fellowships, University of Chicago, USA
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.