The annual AJHA Award for Excellence in Teaching honors a college or university teacher who excels at teaching in the areas of journalism and mass communication history, makes a positive impact on student learning, and offers an outstanding example for other educators.
An honorarium of $500 accompanies the prize.
A nominee may be tenured or untenured, and should hold either a full- or part-time appointment at a college or university that confers an associate, baccalaureate or higher degree in journalism, mass communication, communication studies, or history as of the submission due date. All nominees must have responsibility for teaching the history of journalism and mass communication either as a stand-alone course or as part of a broader course.
Nomination packets must include:
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy (no more than 2 pages)
- A syllabus from a favorite course (must be mass comm. history-related)
- Sample assignment and/or sample lecture
- Teaching evaluations (summary tables, previous 2 years if untenured; 4 years if tenured).
Written peer and/or tenured faculty reviews of teaching may also be included.
- Letters of support - one from each level:
- Administrator (dean/chair)
- Former student (be sure to indicate the relationship of the individual to the nominee and institution, e.g., is the individual currently a graduate student in the nominee’s department?)
- AJHA Margaret A Blanchard Doctoral Dissertation Prize, Northwestern University, USA
- NUS MBA Awards - National University of Singapore
- GLITEMA (German Literature in the European Middle Ages) Master Scholarships, Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Excellence Scholarships for International Students, ESSEC Business School, France
- Sir James Black Academic Excellence in Life Sciences Scholarship, University of Dundee, UK
- Doctoral Scholarships in European Studies, Australian National University
- Excellence Master Fellowships, University of Geneva, Switzerland
- PhD Scholarships in Humanities and Social Sciences, Freie Universität Berlin, Graduate School of North American Studies, Germany
- Excellence Scholarships for PhD in Global Food Security, University of Hohenheim, Germany
- Music Scholarships, City University London, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.