Applications for ASF Scholarships are open to all students (Dutch and international). The AUC Scholarship Fund offers two types of ASF Scholarship: Full scholarships: EU students: EUR 5000 per year Non-EU students: EUR 15,000 per year Partial scholarships: EU students: EUR 2500 per year Non-EU students: EUR 7500 per year.
The AUC Scholarship Fund Board, consisting of representatives of the sponsors and AUC, is responsible for the selection and decides whether the applicant gets a full or a partial scholarship, following a recommendation from the ASF Selection Committee.
The ASF Scholarships are paid to the student in 12 monthly instalments. Please note that the scholarship cannot be used as a (partial) tuition fee waiver; students are responsible for paying the tuition fee themselves.
Candidates wishing to apply for an ASF Scholarship must meet the following requirements.
- Candidates must have submitted a complete application for admission to AUC. For more information on applications and admissions, see links in left-hand menu.
- Candidates must have excellent school results and a strong motivation as reflected in their application and recommendation forms. The selection committee will also look at extracurricular accomplishments and activities relevant for AUC, as well as the future leadership profile/skills of the candidates.
- Candidates must demonstrate financial need (provide proof that it is financially impossible for them to study at AUC without a scholarship).
How and when to apply
- The deadline for applications for an ASF Scholarship is 1 November 2013 for a Spring semester 2014 start. If you want to apply for an ASF Scholarship, you must write a scholarship motivation letter, explaining clearly why you think you deserve a scholarship, and why you are applying for one.
- In addition to your scholarship motivation letter, you must also send us proof of your financial need. Dutch candidates can do this by confirming to us that, according to the information from DUO - IB-Groep (studiefinanciering), and based on their family income, they will receive the maximum additional grant (maximale aanvullende beurs). When they start at AUC in September, these students will be asked to deliver a copy of their DUO - IB-Groep declaration that they are indeed receiving the maximum additional grant.
- International students need to send us copies of the salary statements of both parents or legal guardians, and preferably also their most recent tax returns. In order to be considered for the scholarship, the taxable income of both parents or legal guardians may not exceed EUR 45,000 or the equivalent in local currency. Ensure each document has the full name of the writer, contact telephone number and e-mail address. The documents must be accompanied with a signed declaration that all the documents have been filled in accurately and truthfully. (Download declaration form below.)
- Please send all documents for your ASF Scholarship application to the AUC Scholarship Fund e-mail address (see below), or by post to AUC (marked clearly “ASF Scholarship application, attn. Ms. D. Atkinson”). See link below for the AUC postal address.
- Clearly mark all documents as belonging to an ASF Scholarship application and add to each document your full name, contact telephone number and e-mail address.
For general questions regarding AUC scholarships, please contact the AUC Scholarship Fund e-mail address (link below).
Selection will be done in November 2013, and candidates will be notified of the results of the selection at the end of November 2013. No correspondence with the AUC Scholarship Fund Board about the selection will be accepted.
Conditions for receiving the ASF Scholarship
ASF Scholarships will only be awarded to selected persons who meet the following requirements. Persons who fail to meet the following requirements cannot receive financial support.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee must be fully admitted to Amsterdam University College. The ASF Scholarship cannot be transferred to another academic year or another academic programme.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee must have satisfied all visa and residence permit requirements, if applicable (see link below).
- An ASF Scholarship awardee must have proven both merit and financial need.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee may not receive another full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as the ASF Scholarship. AUC must be notified (contact the AUC Scholarship Fund, see link below) if the student has been awarded another full scholarship, and which scholarship the student has decided to accept.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee may not also receive an ASF-DAP Award.
Conditions for maintaining the ASF Scholarship
ASF Scholarship holders must meet the following requirements. ASF Scholarship holders who fail to meet the following requirements will have to refund the financial support.
- ASF Scholarship holders must maintain good academic standing: they are expected to have a GPA of at least 3.0 and preferably to be on the excellence list (GPA =3.5). The ASF Scholarship may be terminated if their GPA falls below 3.0, if they enter a period of academic probation or if they have to end their studies before graduating.
- If the ASF Scholarship holder decides to quit studying at AUC, the ASF Scholarship payments already received by the holder must be reimbursed to the AUC Scholarship Fund in full.
Students who receive an ASF Scholarship will be evaluated after one year of study. The ASF Scholarship will be awarded for another year if the student:
- has successfully passed the first year (a GPA of at least 3.0 and preferably to be on the excellence list with a GPA = 3.5
- receives a positive recommendation at the end of the academic year from his/her tutor and the Board of examiners
- can prove that the financial need base has not changed.
The same procedure will be followed at the end of the second year.
It is expected that ASF Scholarship holders will participate in activities with AUC sponsors and other AUC contacts, including the AUC alumni network. The ASF Scholarship may be terminated if the holder unreasonably refuses to participate in such activities.
- VU Fellowship Programme (VUFP), VU University Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships (AMS), University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Amsterdam Science Scholarship, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
- PhD Candidate in Development and Spreading of Antibiotic Resistance, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Complete List of Dutch Institutions Offering PhD Studies
- Master Scholarships, VU University Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Master Scholarships in Fine and Applied Arts, Netherlands
- Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
- PhD Position in Music Cognition, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Master Scholarships in Transport and Communications, Netherlands
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.