These grants are offered jointly by the Harvard University Asia Center, the Fairbank Center for Chinese Studies, the Korea Institute, and the Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies. These grants are for students enrolled in a master`s or doctoral program at Harvard in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences or any of its professional schools for study during the summer of an East Asian language (including the Altaic languages), or of one of the languages of South or Southeast Asia. Study should take place at accredited programs outside of the United States, but exceptions may be made when this is not possible.
Priority will be given to advanced study in a primary language, to the study of a secondary language that is necessary for the completion of the degree, or to the study of a secondary language that is necessary for advanced research. Grants will normally not exceed $6,000. Students are encouraged to budget realistically and, when appropriate, to seek support from other sources, which may be combined with GSLG funds. Students seeking support for the study of South Asian languages should also consult the grant programs offered by the South Asia Initiative. Students should also apply for the Reischauer Institute Summer Language Study Grants for Doctoral Students if appropriate.
Students applying to a Harvard Summer School language program should first explore submitting an application for a tuition waiver from GSAS. Students should consult their academic departments for application procedures and deadlines.
Applicants should mail or submit 1 copy (original) of the following materials by Friday, February 11, 2011 to Jorge Espada, RE: Graduate Summer Language Grants, CGIS South Building S118A,
1730 Cambridge Street, Cambridge, MA 02138.
- Standard application form, including budget sheet
- Current resume/CV
- Current official transcript
- Statement of purpose
- Two recommendations (should be mailed directly by recommender to the above address or submitted in a sealed envelope with the other application materials). One letter should be from an academic advisor; the second should be from a language instructor utilizing the attached form.
Additional grant information is available at http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~asiactr/gradgrants.htm.
Please contact Jorge Espada at email@example.com or 617 496 3981 with any questions.
Application is available at http://www.gsas.harvard.edu/current_students/graduate_summer_standard_application.php.
- Harvard Academy Graduate Fellowships, USA
- The Center for Tropical Forest Science (CTFS) Grants, Harvard University, USA
- Boustany Foundation MBA Scholarship, Harvard Business School, USA
- Ancora Foundation Graduate Fellowship, Harvard University, USA
- Nieman-Berkman Fellowship in Journalism Innovation, Harvard University, USA
- Committee on General Scholarships, Harvard University, USA
- KIMEP International Summer School Scholarships, Kazakhstan
- Shorenstein Fellowships in Contemporary Asia, Stanford University, USA
- Gita Wirjawan Graduate Fellowship at the John F Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, USA
- Harvard Postdoctoral Position in Science, Technology and Society, Harvard University, USA
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.