The Asian Cultural Council (ACC) has opened its applications for fellowships to be awarded in 2013 and invites arts professionals in Hong Kong, Macau, China and other Asian countries to apply for funds to support specialized training, conduct research, and pursue creative activities in the United States or other countries in Asia. Programs ranging in duration from three months to one year will be considered.
Deadline for applications is 1 November 2012 for programs to be carried out from July 2013 to December 2014.
Arts organizations, educational and cultural institutions are also eligible to apply to the Council for support for projects of significant importance which involve cultural exchange between Asia and the United States or regional exchange among the countries of Asia.
The ACC’s program covers all the visual and performing arts, both contemporary and traditional. Fields of awards include archeology, architecture (design, history, and theory), arts management, art criticism, art history, conservation, crafts, dance, film and video, museology, music, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture, and theater.
Asian Cultural Council Fellowship Program
The Asian Cultural Council supports cultural exchange in the visual and performing arts between Asia, the United States and amongst Asian countries. Applications are accepted from individuals and institutions.
The major focus of the ACC grant program is on awarding grants to artists, scholars and arts specialists from Asia for study, research, observation and related activities in the United States of America or in another Asian country. American applicants may also apply to conduct similar work in Asia.
Professional Research Programs
Asian applicants may apply for visits to the U.S. to take part in residency programs, to participate in courses and workshops in non-degree programs, and to conduct general research and observation in their field.
Applicants should propose professional activities suitable for their career development.
American applicants may apply for programs of research, training or observation in Asia and must be based in an arts institution that will serve as their local host.
The ACC will consider applications from Asian students pursuing graduate study in universities in the United States. Applications are not accepted for undergraduate programs and the grant extends only to living expenses and international airfare. Applicants are encouraged to find other sources of funding for their tuition. Students must apply separately to universities for acceptance while applying to the ACC for funds.
Project and Organization Grants
A limited number of grants may be awarded to institutions for projects involving international exchanges in the arts between Asia, the United States and amongst Asian countries. Grants for projects are usually very modest in size as the ACC’s resources are focused in individual fellowships.
Fields of Award
The grant program covers all the visual and performing arts, both contemporary and traditional. Fields of awards include:
- Architecture (design, history and theory)
- Arts Management
- Arts Education
- Art Criticism
- Art History
- Non- Commercial Design
- Film and Video
ACC does not support the following:
- Commercial and industrial design
- Mass communications
- Individual artist exhibitions
- Performance tours
- Lecture tours
- Film or video production costs
- Undergraduate study
- Operating costs or capital campaigns
- General program and administration costs
- Activities conducted by individuals in their home countries
The Asian Cultural Council grants are open to citizens and permanent residents of the United States of America and the following countries of Asia:
- East Timor
- South Korea
- Sri Lanka
Application Procedures & Schedule
We are now accepting applications for individual and organization fellowships to be awarded in 2013. Please read the following guidelines carefully before filling in the online application form (links below). Following the annual Board of Trustees meeting in May, all applicants will receive notification regarding the status of their applications.
- Please note that only one application per person will be accepted, and that the ACC will acknowledge receipt of your application. ACC will not process late or incomplete applications and will not follow up on incomplete applications.
- Please fill out the application to the best of your ability and knowledge. The ACC may contact you if any clarification is needed.
- Upload a photo of yourself with the application (JPEG, not to exceed 1MB). If you have trouble doing this, please send a copy of the photo along with your supplementary materials.
- Please make a note of the ACC office to which you have applied. This same office will be in touch with you regarding any questions about your application.
- Supplementary materials that pertain to the applicant’s previous work must be submitted by November 1, 2012. Only one disk, in CD or DVD format, will be accepted. The ACC will not consider any other materials. Supplementary materials will not be returned. Please do not send originals that cannot be replaced. Write your first name, last name, and the date on the CD or DVD.
Visual artists should include in their CD/DVD:
- 12 images of work completed within the last 5 years or 4 samples of video work
- Format: Images should be in JPEG format, and should be approximately 2800 pixels on the longest dimension. Please select the highest quality and lowest compression possible for each image.
- Title each image as “your last name_your first name__#” (ex: Smith_John_3.jpg)
- Write your first and last name on the CD or DVD.
- image list numbered in corresponding order of appearance of images on CD,
- include your name, title of art work, date of work, media/materials and dimensions
- include a brief explanation if necessary of image/work if necessary
- Artist’s statement
Performing artists, Video artists, and Filmmakers applying to the Council should include:
- No more than one DVD
- DVD/video information (title, date, length of work, production information-i.e., camera, editing, producer, director, etc.)
- Performing artists should include 3-5 minute excerpts of 2-3 works they would like the ACC to review.
- Artist’s statement
- Scholarship for Foreign Artists, Province of Styria, Austria
- Fellowship Grant, Asian Civilisations Museum, Singapore
- Journalism Fellowship, Southeast Asian Press Alliance (SEAPA), Thailand
- Getty Scholar Grants, The Getty Foundation, USA
- Nalanda-Sriwijaya Centre Fellowship, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS), Singapore
- Europa Grants for Cultural Journalists - Romanian Cultural Institute
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Democracy, Citizenship, and Constitutionalism, University of Pennsylvania, USA
- Asian Graduate Student Fellowships, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore
- POSCO TJ Park Foundation Research Grants for Asian Studies, Korea
- Asia Center Graduate Summer Research Grants, Harvard University, USA
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.
For more information, please visit official website: www.asianculturalcouncil.org.hk.
I’m very interested in your offer. but how do I register it??? please reply me on my e-mail please . thank you
I want to register, please send me an e-mail.. Thanks
i’m so interested of ur offering. Would u mind to send me an email for further information? Thanks.
i want too… i can sing very well. if “VOICE” is included in the category of “MUSIC? .. send me an email… thanks
i’m thinking about registering.please send me an email for further info.
please send me email. i want to register too.. Thanks
how do I register it??Please send me an email for further info..
How to register?? Please send me an e-mail.
I really interested in this! May I ask for registration? please send me an email.
i’m so interested. I love drawing and other visual art, i wanna live with my hobby. Please send me how to get the registration by email.
What i should to do for register this scholarship?
Can u email to me for the registration?
I really interested
How to register? Please send me an email for further information. Thank you.
i’m so interested
please send me an email how to register