The Department of Cross-cultural and regional Studies seeks to appoint an assistant professor in near Eastern Archaeology. The position is tenable from 1 August 2011 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The three-year, fixed term position is intended to actively support the existing teaching and research strengths of the department, while providing the appointee with the opportunity to develop their own research program especially through field work. The appointee will be expected to have wide-ranging knowledge of modern archaeological practices and theories, and the practical application of these in both a teaching and field environment. A research doctorate from an internationally recognized university is a prerequisite.
In order to promote research-based teaching in the department, particular areas of strengths with demonstrable experience in a leadership/managerial role are:
- Society and culture of the Prehistoric Near East (Palaeolithic to pre-pottery Neolithic periods especially)
- Trade, economy and society in the Arabian Gulf (all time periods)
- Lithic technologies
- Modern archaeological practices especially the contribution of environmental studies in landscape archaeology
- Politics and archaeology
- An active and successful field program
The appointee will be expected to devote considerable time, both in the field and research, to the department´s current project in Qatar in the role of Deputy Director, while promoting their own research project in another Middle Eastern country. The inclusion of students from the University of Copenhagen in these projects will be seen in a positive light. Additionally, some general teaching duties will be required. An established international profile, including conference participation, and ongoing collaboration with universities and institutions world-wide is expected.
An assistant professorship is a three-year, fixed-term academic position involving research teaching. The successful applicant must have research qualifications on at least Ph.D. level. The person appointed to the post will be obliged to take a course of study in university teaching devised especially for assistant professors, and is expected to be able to take part in all the activities of the Department, including examinations and administration.
Emphasis will be placed on the following academic and personal qualifications:
- Research qualifications, which will be assessed in relation to the period of active research and the degree of originality and production
- Scientific significance, academic breadth and depth, rigour, thoroughness and accuracy as well as academic relevance in relation to the advertisement for the position
- Teaching qualifications
- Administrative qualifications
- Research management
- Participation in networks - national and international
For further information about the post, please contact: Head of Department, Ingolf Thuesen, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further details about the qualification requirements for assistant professors, please refer to Circular no. 9427 of 13 June 2007 concerning the job structure for academic staff job structure http://www.ubst.dk/lovgivning/personalejura-medarbejdere/ny_stillingsstruktur_eng.pdf
Applications must be submitted online in Adobe PDF or Word format. Please click on the “Apply online” icon at the bottom of the page.
Please note that every field in the application form can only contain 1 file of 20Mb max.
The application must be written in English and include the following appendices:
Application letter/cover letter
Appendix 1: CV
Appendix 2: Documentation of qualifications (examination certificates/PhD diploma, etc.)
Appendix 3: Complete list of publications
Appendix 4: Research plan, including a short description of previous research and a plan for the coming years, that includes an account of involvement in organizing research, establishment of research seminars, symposia and congresses etc.
Appendix 5: Documentation of teaching qualifications and research dissemination (organization of classes, materials, provision of courses and other forms of teaching).
Appendix 6: Publications. Applicants may choose a maximum of three publications for assessment, of which at least two of the selected works must have been published within the five years immediately preceding the deadline for applications. Publication dates must be clearly marked on the publication list. The publications selected must be sent as attachments.
Only material in Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, English, German and French can be expected to be assessed.
All material will be maculated at the end of the appointment procedure.
After the application deadline, the Dean will set up an expert assessment committee to evaluate applicants specifically in relation to the advertised position. The applicants will be informed about the composition of the committee, and each candidate will have the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment relating to his or her self before the appointment is finalised. Please refer to ministerial order no. 284 of 25 April 2008 concerning the appointment of academic staff at universities ministerial order http://www.ku.dk/regel/2/2031.html
Further information about the procedure is available from HR and Personnel Officer Mette Christensen, tel.: +45 35 32 80 87 or e-mail: email@example.com
Salary and conditions of employment
Assistant professors receive an annual salary of currently EURO 52,000 plus 17,1 % of the salary to a pension scheme. A special tax scheme is offered to researchers recruited abroad, www.ku.dk/pers
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, irrespective of personal background.
Application deadline: 15 April 2011.
Please quote reference number 211-0422/11-4550 in your application letter.
- 15 PhD Scholarships, Faculty of Humanities, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- PhD Scholarships in Water Engineering, Technical University of Denmark
- PhD Fellowship, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Abdullah Al-Mubarak Research Fellowship in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies, Pembroke College, UK
- PhD Fellowships in Biopharmaceutics as Medicinal Products, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Graduate Scholarship in Archaeology, St Cross College, University of Oxford, UK
- PhD Fellowship in Drug Delivery, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- PhD Fellowship in Epigenetics and Signal Transduction in Cancer, BRIC, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- PhD Scholarship on Textiles Terminologies in Ancient Greece, Faculty of Humanities, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- PhD Fellowships in Biotechnology and Environmental Technology, University of Southern Denmark
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.