The Australian uranium industry offers financial support for young Indigenous men and women undertaking tertiary study in areas relevant to uranium exploration and mining.
The Indigenous Leadership Scholarship Scheme is an initiative of the members of the Australian Uranium Association, who support local indigenous communities and wish to help build skills and capabilities of indigenous people in the regions where they do business.
The aim of the Indigenous Leadership Scholarship Scheme is to encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to undertake full-time undergraduate studies in Science, Engineering or Business Management at an Australian University. The Scholarship Scheme is funded by the members of the Association, and is administered by the Australian Uranium Association.
Scholarship Value and Payment
Scholarships have a value of $10,000 per annum (GST exempt) per student for the duration of the undergraduate study. Payment will be made by the Australian Uranium Association via direct Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). Payments will be made fortnightly equal to 1/26th of the annual scholarship amount.
In order to receive a scholarship, applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria, and be able to provide documentary evidence. The applicant must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.
- Be enrolled or eligible to enrol as a full-time student in a Science, Engineering or Business Management Undergraduate degree at an Australian University. Scholarships are available to students in any year of their Undergraduate degree
- Be preferably from a rural or remote location. Although not a mandatory criterion, scholarships will be offered preferentially to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who currently live, or have lived mostly, in a rural or remote community. Students who attended boarding school will not be disadvantaged. Scholarship applicants must not be in receipt of any other Industry Scholarship at the time of application.
Applications for the 2011 AUA Indigenous Leadership Scholarship Program close at 5 pm (Melbourne time) on Friday 8 October 2010.
For further enquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Julianne Foley on (03) 8616 0440
Visit official website.
- PhD Research Scholarship, Quantifying Uranium Minerals, RMIT University, Australia
- Perth Airport Indigenous Scholarship, Edith Cowan University, Australia
- Vice Chancellor’s Indigenous Australian Scholarship, Edith Cowan University, Australia
- Governor-General’s Indigenous Student Teacher Scholarships, Edith Cowan University, Australia
- Lillian Passmore Donovan Memorial Scholarships, Curtin University, Australia
- Endeavour Awards from Australian Government
- Master and Doctoral Scholarships for Indonesian Students by Australian Development Scholarships
- Commonwealth Scholarships Program 2010, Australia
- Bond University 25th Anniversary Scholarships, Australia
- Fulbright Association Student Exchange Award, Singapore - USA
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.