The Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program is celebrating 50 years! Since the plan’s inception in 1959, the Government of Canada has provided scholarships of excellence to all member countries of the Commonwealth. The CCSP goal is to promote Canadian values and identity around the world and to help meet the human capital needs of developing countries.
The Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program is facilitated through student exchange agreements between Canadian and regional institutions. These student exchange agreements are created between universities for graduate students. Scholarship recipients remain registered as full time students in their home institution during this exchange.
Graduate Students Exchanges (GSEP) are hosted by Canadian institutions for a period of five or six months and provide up to $10,000 to cover transportation, living and other related expenses during the students’ stay in Canada.
Student application process
Students interested in this scholarship program should contact their home institution to make their interest known, and to find out if there is an institutional collaboration or exchange agreement with a Canadian institution. The Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC) provides a database of international exchange agreements which, while not exhaustive, does provide a list of some existing agreements.
An institutional exchange agreement is desirable, however, where no agreement yet exists, research applications by students which may result in a new collaboration between professors from a Canadian and foreign university will be considered.
Candidates doing research must apply for a Work Permit in order to ensure a smooth entry at the Canadian border and to receive the funds.
Interested students may also wish to contact alumni of the program through their home institution for advice and a local perspective on the experience.
The deadline of applications is April 30, 2010
Visit official website.
- Commonwealth Scholarships Program 2010, Australia
- The Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund (MMMF) Grants, USA & Canada
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP), University of Edinburgh, UK
- Postdoctoral Fellowships, Atmosphere Ocean Modelling Data Assimilation, Dalhousie University, Canada
- Government Finance Professional Development Scholarship, USA - Canada
- Canada-Africa Research Exchange Grants (CAREG)
- Undergraduate Scholarships, University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT), Canada
- Canadian Engineering Memorial Foundation (CEMF) Undergraduate Engineering Scholarships for Women, Canada
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, University of Alberta, Canada
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme, University of Edinburgh, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.