Each award will cover between £5,000 and £25,000 per annum and can be used towards tuition fees, stipend and/or laboratory costs.
The awards are open to overseas students undertaking a research degree within the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine.
Applicants must be liable to pay tuition fees at the rate applicable to overseas students and must have already applied for admission to a full-time three year PhD; or a four year PhD; or a 1+3 (Masters + PhD) programme.
Applicants must be of outstanding academic merit and research potential.
Other factors such as financial status and nationality are not taken into account.
Applying for Postgraduate Admission
Applicants must be of outstanding academic merit and research potential, and must have their application supported by a supervisor and project title in place before applying for a scholarship.
For an overview of our research institutes and centres, which will help you identify a centre where your research interests are, please visit the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine website.
- College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine Research Institutes and Centres
- Research Projects advertised on findaphd.com
Applicants should then send a covering letter and up-to-date C.V. to the relevant member of academic staff, to discuss the possibilities of applying for a PhD in their laboratory and to indicate that you wish to apply for the Charles Darwin Scholarship.
Applying for the Charles Darwin Scholarship
In addition to applying for postgraduate admission, you are also required to make an application for the Charles Darwin Scholarship.
Completed scholarship application forms must be received by Scholarships and Student Funding Services no later than 31 March 2011.
Eligible applicants should complete an online application form.
Please note that you will not be able to access the online application form unless you have applied for admission to the University of Edinburgh and have full EASE authentication.
Notification of award
The deadline for the receipt of the Charles Darwin International Scholarship applications to Scholarships and Student Funding Services is 31 March 2011.
Successful applications will receive their Charles Darwin International Scholarship result letter in April 2011.
The College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine has an internationally-leading reputation for excellence in research, with major strengths in regenerative medicine, neurosciences, inflammation, cardiovascular disease, reproductive sciences, genetics, molecular medicine, population health, oncology and infectious disease.
Prospective applicants are encouraged to view the College website and the College postgraduate experience film for further information.
- PhD Studentships in the History of Science, Technology and Medicine, Imperial College, London, UK
- Vice-Chancellors International High Achievers Scholarships, Charles Darwin University, Australia
- International Students Scholarships, Royal Veterinary College (RVC), University of London, UK
- School of Biological Sciences Taught Postgraduate Bursaries, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Radcliffe Department of Medicine PhD Scholarship, University of Oxford, UK
- The Harvey Carey Memorial Scholarship, University of New South Wales, Australia
- Edinburgh Global Undergraduate Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Carl Duisberg Scholarships, Bayer Foundations, Germany
- PhD Studentship in Biomedical Research Cluster Infectious Diseases, Hasselt University, Belgium
- Postgraduate Research Scholarships, University of Glasgow, UK