Chinese Government Scholarship scheme is established by the Ministry of Education of P.R. China (hereinafter referred to as MOE) in accordance with educational exchange agreements or understandings reached between Chinese government and governments of other countries, organizations, education institutions and relevant international organizations to provide both full scholarships and partial scholarships to international students and scholars. MOE entrusts China Scholarship Council (hereinafter referred to as CSC) to manage the recruitment and carry out the routine management of Chinese Government Scholarship Programs.
CATEGORIES OF APPLICANTS AND DURATION OF SCHOLARSHIP
Duration of Program 4-5
Duration of Remedial Chinese Language Course 1-2 (college preparatory courses)
Duration of Scholarship 4-7
Duration of Program 2-3
Duration of Remedial Chinese Language Course 1-2
Duration of Scholarship 2-5
Duration of Program 3-4
Duration of Remedial Chinese Language Course 1-2
Duration of Scholarship 3-6
1. According to the regulation stipulated by MOE, all undergraduate programs for international students are instructed in Chinese. Applicants with no command of Chinese are generally required to take the college preparatory courses for one to two years before entering university. And only by passing the examinations after the college preparatory courses, could they start their university studies.
2. Part of the Chinese HEIs could conduct part of the postgraduate program and non-degree courses for general and senior scholars in English. Please check Directory of Chinese Higher Institutions Admitting International Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Program or visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua.
3. Scholarship students should complete their study within the due time; duration for scholarship specified in the Admission Notice can not be extended in principle.
Applicants shall apply to Chinese diplomatic missions or dispatching authorities between January and April every year.
Applicants may refer to the above authorities for deadlines for application.
CRITERIA & ELIGIBILITY
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens in good health.
2. Education background and age limit:
- Applicants for undergraduate program must have senior high school diploma with good academic performance and be under the age of 25.
- Applicants for master`s degree program must have bachelor`s degree and be under the age of 35.
- Applicants for doctoral degree program must have master`s degree and be under the age of 40.
- Applicants for Chinese training program must have senior high school diploma and be under the age of 35, Chinese language is the only subject available.
- Applicants for general scholar program must have completed at least two years of undergraduate study and be under the age of 45, all subjects besides Chinese language are available.
- Applicants for senior scholar program must have master`s degree or above, or hold academic titles of associate professor or above, and be under the age of 50.
VALUES OF SCHOLARSHIP
1. Full Scholarship
- Exempt from registration fee, tuition fee, fee for laboratory experiment, fee for internship, and fee for basic learning materials; free accommodation on campus;
- Living allowance;
- One-off settlement subsidy after registration;
- Fee for outpatient medical service, Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China;
- One-off inter-city travel subsidy.
1) Costs of the laboratory experiment or internship beyond the institution`s arrangements should be self-afforded.
2) Fee for basic learning materials only covers the necessary learning materials prescribed by the host institution, and other textbooks and materials shall be self-afforded.
3) Monthly allowance is granted to the students through the host institution at the following rates (CNY Yuan per month):
- Undergraduates & Chinese language students: CNY 1,400 Yuan
- Master`s degree students & general scholars: CNY 1,700 Yuan
- Doctoral degree students & senior scholars: CNY 2,000 Yuan
Scholarship students shall receive their monthly living allowance after registration. New students who register before 15th (15th included) of the registration month will get the full amount of living allowance of that month, and those who register after 15th will get half amount of that month. Students upon graduation will get a living allowance for another 15 days after the graduation date set by the university. The allowance will be terminated from the next month after students suspend their studies, drop school or complete schooling from the university. Monthly living allowance covers school holidays. Scholarship students who missed the monthly living allowance during holidays could be reimbursed upon their return on campus. The allowance will be suspended for one month for those students who do not register on time without permission from the university, leave for non-health reasons or are absent from university over a month. Students who have to suspend their studies for health reasons are required to go back to their home countries for treatment. The international travel expenses should be covered by the students themselves. With the university`s approval, the scholarship status can be reserved for up to one year and their living allowances will be suspended during their leave. The scholarship status will not be reserved for those who suspend their studies for other reasons.
4) New students will get a one-off settlement subsidy upon their arrival in China.
- CNY 1,000 Yuan for new students who will study in China up to one academic year
- CNY 1,500 Yuan for new students who will study in China above one academic year
5) Fee for outpatient medical service refers to the outpatient expense in the institution`s hospital or the hospitals entrusted by the institution. The students are required to share a certain percentage of expense in accordance with the institution`s regulations.
6) Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China is provided by MOE for the scholarship students in China in case of hospitalizing for serious diseases and accidental injuries. The institutions or the entrusted medical assistance agencies provide advancement service for insurance expenses, and claim for compensation with relevant payment receipts from the insurance company according to the stipulated insurance articles. For scholarship student, the individual claim will not be accepted by the insurance company.
7) One-off inter-city travel ticket (each for coming-in and leaving China)
A hard-seat train ticket (hard-berth train ticket for overnight trip) will be provided for new scholarship students traveling from the port of entry upon registration to the city where the admitting institution or institution of Chinese language training or college preparatory courses is located; for students traveling from the Chinese language training institution or preparatory education institution to the city where the university for major study is located; and for students traveling from the city where the institution is located to the nearest port for departure upon graduation. Meal and excess of baggage should be self-afforded.
2. Partial Scholarship
One or several items of full scholarship (one-off settlement subsidy and one-off inter-city travel allowance excluded).
- Master & Doctoral Scholarships by Chinese Government, China
- Bachelor, Master & Doctoral, Chinese Government Scholarship, China
- China Government Scholarship for Master & PhD, Nanjing University
- Undergraduate, Master & Doctoral Scholarships for International Students, Xiamen University, China
- Shanghai Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students, China
- PhD Scholarship in Business and Economics, KU Leuven, Belgium
- Master & Doctoral Scholarships, Chongqing University, China
- Doctoral, Master and Bachelor Scholarships, Asia University, Taiwan
- China / AUN Master & Doctoral Scholarships for ASEAN Citizens
- Bachelor, Master & Doctoral Scholarships for International Students, Harbin Engineering University, China
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.