The Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP) provides opportunities for students in one Commonwealth country to pursue advanced academic study at Master’s or PhD level in another Commonwealth country. The scholarships are aimed at individuals of high intellectual promise who may be expected to make significant contribution to their own countries on their return from studying abroad.
Around 300 general scholarships are offered annually. Awards may vary in length from one to three years, and normally cover the cost of travel, tuition fees and living expenses. There are additional allowances for books and study travel, and in some cases warm clothing. Allowances may also be paid towards the cost of an accompanying spouse and/or children.
Candidates should normally be Commonwealth citizens or British protected persons resident in a Commonwealth country other than the UK, who have graduated with a first degree (Bachelor’s degree) or equivalent qualification with at least upper second-class Honours, or a Master’s degree.
Applications should be made to the Commonwealth Scholarship Agency (usually the Ministry of Education) in the applicant’s home country. Agency addresses are listed in the Commonwealth Universities Yearbook. Nominations must be received by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in London by 31 December 2010.
For more details contact:
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission
The Association of Commonwealth Universities
20-24 Tavistock Square
London , WC1H 9HF
Tel: 020 7380 6700
Fax: 020 7387 2655
Other Commonwealth awards include the Commonwealth Academic Staff Scholarships which are open to staff employed in universities in developing commonwealth countries, and the Split-Site Doctoral Scholarships which support attendance for one year at a UK university, under the joint supervision of a home country and UK supervisor.
Further information is available from:
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program by Government of Canada
- Edinburgh Global Undergraduate Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Edinburgh Global Master Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Commonwealth Scholarships Program 2010, Australia
- School of Biological Sciences Taught Postgraduate Bursaries, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Edinburgh Global Undergraduate Mathematics Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
- MSc Scholarships in Science Communication and Public Engagement, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Undergraduate Scholarships 2010/2011, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Coca-Cola Undergraduate Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.