Criminal Law & Criminalisation PhD Scholarship - School of Law
Applications are invited for a scholarship offered by the College of Social Sciences, to be held in the School of Law, within the broad theme of criminalisation. The successful applicant will be supervised by Professor James Chalmers and another member of staff (probably Professor Lindsay Farmer or Dr Fiona Leverick, depending on the exact nature of the project).
It is expected that the successful candidate’s work will link in with an ongoing research project being conducted by Professor Chalmers and Dr Leverick on patterns of criminalisation, examining the creation and characteristics of new criminal offences in the United Kingdom. The first research papers from this project have been completed and should be published later in 2013. The project also involves the creation of a research assistant post (to be advertised shortly) from the autumn of 2013 onwards. This builds on the University of Glasgow having been at the forefront of research into criminalisation in recent years, with Professor Farmer being one of the investigators on a four-year AHRC-funded programme of research in this field.
The research proposal should concern itself with the practice of formal criminalisation: that is, the way in which governments or regulators use the criminal law as a legislative tool. This might include, for example, examination of (a) the criminalisation of specific activities; (b) aspects of criminalisation of a broader range of activities (that is, devices such as strict liability, reverse burdens of proof or extraterritorial jurisdiction which are used in defining criminal offences by legislation); (c) more wide-ranging examination of legislative practices over time; (d) alternatives to criminal law such as civil penalties; (e) the creation of criminal offences in regulatory contexts or by regulatory bodies. Research proposals should be concerned primarily with legislative practice (which includes the decision of governments to legislate) or mechanisms.
- Kellaway Scholarships, University of Sussex, UK
- MBA Scholarships, University of Glasgow, UK
- Bachelor of Nursing Scholarship, University of Glasgow, UK
- Healthcare Scholarships, University of Glasgow, UK
- Institute of Neuroscience & Psychology International Scholarship, University of Glasgow, UK
- University Trust International Leadership Scholarship, University of Glasgow, UK
- Undergraduate Excellence Scholarship, University of Glasgow, UK
- School of Engineering International Academic Excellence Awards, University of Glasgow, UK
- Glasgow Lister Scholarships, University of Glasgow, UK
- University of Glasgow Country Scholarships, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.