These awards are an initiative by City University London to provide funding for outstanding international doctoral students. The scheme replaces the Overseas Research Students (ORS) Awards, a UK Government scheme which ran between 1979 and 2009.
City recognises that ORS award holders made a valuable contribution, not only to the British research base, but also to economic, scientific, educational and other aspects of life in their own country. Their involvement in City academic life and the wider cultural experiences offered in the UK contributed to their personal development and helped increase their future opportunities.
With the announcement that the Higher Education Funding Council for England would no longer fund ORS Awards after 2009, City decided to institute its own scheme in order to continue support for outstanding international research students.
City Overseas Student Awards cover the doctoral tuition fees of outstanding international students who meet the scheme`s eligibility criteria.
You must meet certain criteria:
- You must be resident outside the UK and the EU, and liable for overseas fees
- You must be of outstanding merit and research potential
- You must not have already been awarded a PhD or equivalent degree
How to apply
You must apply for doctoral research in the normal way (click here) and indicate in the Finance section that you wish to be considered for a City Overseas Student Award. NB you may apply to be considered for both a full University Research Studentship and an Overseas Student Award.
You must make your application by Monday 25 January 2010 (for awards available from 1 October 2010).
- University Doctoral Studentships, City University London, UK
- PhD Studentships in Film and Media, Bradford Media School, University of Bradford, UK
- Music Scholarships, City University London, UK
- Undergraduate Scholarships, City University London, UK
- Addiction PhD Studentship, Department of Psychology, Goldsmiths, University of London, UK
- PhD Studentship in Fluid Mechanics, Imperial College London, UK
- PhD Studentships, School of Geography, Queen Mary, University of London, UK
- PhD Studentships in the History of Science, Technology and Medicine, Imperial College, London, UK
- PhD Studentship, Department of Earth Science and Engineering, Imperial College London, UK
- PhD Studentships, Cass Business School, City University London, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.