The Department “Political and Cultural Change” offers a Doctoral scholarship “Historical relations between demography and land use in West Africa”
The candidate will be expected to participate in the interdisciplinary and disciplinary courses of the ZEF Doctoral Studies Program from 1st October 2011 - February 2012. He/she will develop an individual research proposal until February 2012. For data collection, 10-12 months of field research in West Africa will be required. During the writing-up period of the dissertation, the candidate will be based at ZEF in Bonn.
Duration of the doctoral studies:
Three years starting from August 2011 under conditional acceptance of the confirmation by the funding agency. A scholarship awarded will cover living, research as well as travel cost.
Requirements for the applicants:
- very good degree (Diploma, Master or Magister) in social anthropology, social geography, political sciences or development sociology
- very good writing skills in English are required for the dissertation
- very good knowledge of French are required for research in a francophone country
- good knowledge of field research methods is required
- experience in research is of advantage
- work experience in West Africa is of advantage
African candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
The eligible candidates are invited to send their application including
- a letter of motivation
- a concept note that addresses the research topic, problem statement, research objectives and question, suggested methodology (2-3 pages)
- Curriculum Vitae
- copies of academic certificates
- a letter of reference.
Please, send the hard copy of the application to:
Center for Development Research,
Dr. Irit Eguavoen (ZEFa),
Walter-Flex-Str. 3, D- 53113
Closing date for the application is the 20th June 2011.
Short–listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
The Center for Development Research is an international, English-speaking research institute of the University of Bonn / Germany which hosts the ZEF Doctoral Studies Program. For more information, please see www.zef.de.
- PhD Scholarship, Right Livelihood College, University of Bonn, Germany
- Doctoral Fellowships in Psychology, International Max Planck Research School, Germany
- Master Scholarships in Media Studies, University of Bonn, Germany
- DAAD Short-term Research Grants for Doctoral Candidates, Germany
- DAAD Short-term Research Grants for University Academics and Scientists, Germany
- Master Scholarships in International Media Studies, Germany
- PhD Scholarships in Brain Aging and Neurodegeneration, The German Research Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE), Germany
- Leibniz - DAAD Research Fellowships, Germany
- Excellence Scholarships for PhD in Global Food Security, University of Hohenheim, Germany
- Postdoctoral Fellowships, Max Planck Center for Visual Computing and Communication, Germany
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.