The International Women’s Media Foundation is now accepting applications for the 2011-12 Elizabeth Neuffer Fellowship, named for the 1998 IWMF Courage in Journalism Award winner and The Boston Globe correspondent who was killed in Iraq in May 2003.
The fellowship will run from September 2011 to March 2012. This program, created with Neuffer’s family and friends, aims to perpetuate her memory and advance her life mission of promoting international understanding of human rights and social justice while creating an opportunity for women journalists to build their skills.
One woman journalist will be selected to spend an academic year in a tailored program with access to Boston-area universities as well as The Boston Globe and The New York Times. The flexible structure of the program will provide the fellow with opportunities to pursue academic research and hone her reporting skills covering topics related to human rights.
The Elizabeth Neuffer Fellowship is open to women journalists whose focus is human rights and social justice. Applicants must be dedicated to a career in journalism in print, broadcast or online media and show a strong commitment to sharing knowledge and skills with colleagues upon the completion of the fellowship. Excellent written and spoken English skills are required. A stipend will be provided, and expenses, including airfare and housing, will be covered.
Application Checklist Completed applications must be received by the IWMF on or before May 27, 2011. Incomplete applications and applications that arrive after the due date will not be considered.
The following items constitute a completed application:
- Completed application form (including signature and date)
- Two completed recommendation forms
- English assessment form (for non-native English speakers only)
- Current resume or CV
- Three work samples
Applications should be submitted electronically when possible to firstname.lastname@example.org. If it is not possible to submit your application electronically, it can be submitted by mail, either regular post or international courier, to:
Elizabeth Neuffer Fellowship
International Women’s Media Foundation
1625 K Street, NW, Suite 1275
Washington, D.C. 20006
Questions? Email email@example.com
- World Press Institute Fellowships for Journalists, USA
- Queen Elizabeth II Scholarships, University of Birmingham, UK
- Immigration Journalism Fellowship for International Journalists, French-American Foundation
- The Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists from Developing Countries, USA
- Journalism Fellowship, Southeast Asian Press Alliance (SEAPA), Thailand
- PhD Position, Max Planck Institute of Molecular Physiology, Germany
- Knight Fellowships for International Professional Journalists, Stanford University, USA
- Alfred Friendly Press Fellowships, USA
- Azerbaijan Diplomatic Academy Fellowship for International Students
- Simons Graduate Fellowships in Theoretical Computer Science, USA