Erasmus Mundus is a certification of excellence which is delivered by the European community to the best international master programs in Europe, and it is supported by very attractive scholarships.
The Erasmus Mundus Master Course in Data Mining and Knowledge Management (DMKM) proposes specialist training in this field. This is a two years course. The higher education consortium that organizes the master is composed of six universities in four countries:
- France (University Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris 6, University Lumière Lyon 2, Polytech`Nantes - Polytechnic Graduate School of Nantes University),
- Romania (Technical University of Bucharest),
- Italy (University of Eastern Piedmont Amedeo Avogadro) and
- Spain (Technical University of Catalonia)
The Master`s in DMKM is aimed at students from all over the world. Candidates must have a Bachelor`s degree (or equivalent) in computer science, applied mathematics or statistics, as well as a good level of English (TOEFL 550 or equivalent). Admission is granted on the basis of a selection procedure. Classes are taught in English and the course is composed of 18 modules of around sixty hours each.
The course runs over 4 semesters on at least two countries of the European Uni0n. The first semester is devoted to basic training that includes theoretical mathematics, statistics, databases, logic, knowledge representation etc. whereas the two following semesters are dedicated to acquire 2 specialities among 6 in `E-Science`, `Data Mining and Complex System Modeling, Application in Social Science`, `Knowledge and Decision`, `Statistical Modeling and Data Mining`, `Web Semantic` and `Relational Data Mining`. The fourth semester is devoted to the writing of a dissertation in either a laboratory or a company.
Language classes will also be provided to ensure that students integrate as well as possible in socio-cultural terms in the host country. Each student must spend (6-12) months in at least two of the 4 countries. Students that have obtained 120 ECTS, will automatically obtain national Master`s degrees from the countries in which they have studied. Classes are transmitted via video-conferencing. They are also recorded and accessible on line. Students can benefit, on their site of residence, from support in the form of tutoring for each course.
Tuition fees are 4,000 € for European students and 8,000 € for other students.
The European Uni0n provides up to 20 scholarships that covers transportations, subsistence and tuition fees. It offers also up to 6 scholarships to scholars.
The deadlines for applications are:
- 2 January 2010 for Scholarships for Non European students and scholars
- 15 April 2010 for Scholarships for European students
- 20 June 2010 for DMKM Master Course
Please see the EM-DMKM website (www.em-dmkm. eu) for further details and on-line application form.
Professor Jean-Gabriel Ganascia
DMKM Consortium communication
University Pierre et Marie Curie – Paris 6
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships, International Master in Management of IT (IMMIT), Europe
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate Program (EMJD) 2010-2013, Europe
- Master Scholarship, Erasmus Mundus MACLANDS, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus 2010 MSc Scholarships in Photonics, Europe
- European Master in Tourism Management (EMTM) Scholarships, Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Master Scholarships in European Literary Cultures, Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- European Master on Software Engineering (EMSE), Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Master Scholarships in Strategic Project Management, Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- International Master in Service Engineering (IMSE), Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Master Scholarships in Environmental Sciences, Policy and Management, Erasmus Mundus, Europe
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.