The European Doctor in Industrial Management (EDIM) is a four-year state-of-the-art doctoral research program for doctoral training addressing managerial issues of significance for the future competitiveness and sustainability of the industrial companies of Europe. The mission of the program is to generate cutting-edge knowledge at the intersection of engineering and management.
Our ambition is to produce doctors with a new European profile reflecting a wide scientific and international breadth in engineering and management.
EDIM candidates will conduct research directed to in close cooperation with European industry as a means to foster deep insight into managerial challenges of globalization and a profound intercultural awareness. EDIM-graduates will be able to address challenging managerial issues of globalization in industrial endeavours as they arise in e.g. operations, research and development, industrial marketing, innovation, and entrepreneurship.
EDIM’s uniqueness lies in the fact that it acknowledges the importance to integrate a management perspective with deep technical knowledge.
The program is multi-disciplinary and empirically driven in order to gain a clearer understanding of the patterns and conditions for industrial endeavours in today’s international environment.
EDIM is run by a consortium consisting of the industrial management departments of the most prominent and well-respected engineering universities in Sweden, Italy, and Spain.
Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan (KTH)
Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan, (KTH) was founded 1827 and is the cradle of academic engineering education in Sweden. Today it is the country’s largest technical university with 15.000 students, which equals one third of the engineering students in Sweden. KTH is the coordinating university for the EDIM programme.
Department of Industrial Economics and Management (INDEK)
The EDIM program is run at the Department of Industrial Economics and Management (INDEK) which was established in the 1910’s. INDEK consists today of 9 full professors, approx. 20 associate professors, senior lecturers and research associates, and 47 PhD students, all active in a research revolving around industrial development and management studies. In terms of research INDEK comprises the following research groups: industrial management, project intensive industries, industrial marketing, management control, industrial dynamics, industrial work science, energy management, innovation studies and gender studies.
Politecnico di Milano (POLIMI)
Politecnico di Milano (POLIMI) was founded in 1963 and is the most important Engineering School in Italy, withabout 25.000 students in undergraduate and graduate engineering courses and about 600 PhD students in the Doctoral School.
Department of Management, Economics and Industrial Engineering (DIG)
The Department of Management, Economics and Industrial Engineering (DIG) is a result of POLIMI’s pioneering vision to develop joint management and engineering research and education within Italian technical universities during the 1970’s. The department DIG was established 1989 by pooling together all activities in the fields of management, economics and industrial engineering. The Department is structured in three research lines (1) Logistics, Operations and Industrial Engineering (2) Applied Economics and (3) Management. It comprises about 90 professors, 20 research assistants, and more than 40 PhD Students.
Universidad Politéchnica de Madrid (UPM)
The university of UPM is the oldest and largest of the Spanish Technical Universities, with more than 3.000 faculty members, 38.000 undergraduate students, and approximately 8.000 graduate and PhD students. UPM was established in its present form in 1970, but its history goes back as long as to the beginning of the 18th century.
Department of Industrial Management, Business Administration and Statistics
The Department of Industrial Management, Business Administration and Statistics was established in the 1970’s. It consists today of 31 full professors, 35 associate professors and research associates, and approximately 50 PhD students. The Department comprises the following research groups: quantitative finance, marketing strategies, industrial management, project management, entrepreneurship, reverse logistics, information systems, and energy management and energy prices forecasting.
Annually there are nine scholarships awarded to the successful candidates in accordance with the following criteria;
- Five Category A fellowships awarded to students from countries that are not members of the European Union (currently 27 countries) plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Please note that doctoral candidates who are not from the above countries but who have studied/worked in the 27 member states, Iceland Liechtenstein and Norway for a period of 12 months for the last five years, fall also in this category. The only exception to this rule applies to candidates who have previously received an Erasmus Mundus masters scholarship in order to follow an EMMC who fall under category A.
- Four Category B fellowships are awarded to candidates who do not fulfill the Category A criteria defined above.
The EDIM program is a four-year program that commences in the autumn of 2011. Application for the second edition of the program (starting autumn term 2012) will be opened on the 15th of September 2011. The online application closes at 1400 hours Central European Time (CET) on the 15th of November 2011.
To be admitted to the program candidate should fulfill the following minimum requirement:
- A higher education degree of engineering in the M.Sc. level of the European LMD system (300 ECTS credits),
- Have a minimum TOEFL (test of English as a foreign language) score of 600 in paper-based test, 250 in computer-based test/100 in Internet based test, or IELTS (International English language Testing System) score of 7 in order to be considered for admission.
The complete application file consists of:
The completed application form (see link below). Fill in the online application form, attach the electronic copies of the documents required, print it, and send it together with the required documents to the following address:
EDIM program office
Industrial Economics and Management,
The Royal Institute of Technology, KTH
100 44 Stockholm
The documents should be postmarked latest the 15th of November, 2011 and should include:
- A legalized copy of diplomas/degrees including the transcripts of the Masters degree with an official translation in English.
- Copies of English language tests scores (TOEFL, IELTS) and English language certificates.
- Recent GMAT scores if any.
- Curriculum Vitae in the European format maximum 2 pages.
- Two letters of recommendation in English; from a professor at the University of origin. One of them should be from the master thesis supervisor (please include telephone numbers and e-mail of the professors).
- A statement letter in English (max 2 pages) describing why you think you are the suitable candidate.
- Copy of passport information page (should include the passport number, your name, and your photo) or copy of your identity card and a proof of request for a new passport.
- 2 recent passport photos.
- Publication list and Patents in English if applicable.
- A research draft of maximum 5000 (in English) words outlining research area, possible research questions that the candidate wants to pursue, theoretical perspectives and methodology.
For more information, please visit official website: www.kth.se.
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships, International Master in Management of IT (IMMIT), Europe
- Master Scholarships in Environmental Sciences, Policy and Management, Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Master Scholarships in European Literary Cultures, Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Master Scholarship, Erasmus Mundus MACLANDS, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships 2010 in Robotics, Europe
- Master Scholarships in Strategic Project Management, Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate Program (EMJD) 2010-2013, Europe
- European Master on Software Engineering (EMSE), Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Master Scholarships in Lifelong Learning (MALLL), Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus 2010 MSc Scholarships in Photonics, Europe
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.