The European Master’s Course in Embedded Computing Systems (EMECS) is designed to educate Bachelor graduates from Electrical & Computer Engineering and Computer Science as well as graduates from related disciplines to become experts in the field of Embedded Computing Systems. The participating institutions are:
- University of Kaiserslautern (TUK), Kaiserslautern, Germany Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway Faculty of Information Technology Mathematics and Electrical Engineering
- University of Southampton (UoS), Southampton, United Kingdom School of Electronics and Computer Science
EMECS is a two-years Master`s course (120 ECTS credits) that is pursued at two out of the three participating institutions. Students will spend one year at each of the selected universities and will receive a joint degree from the respective institutions. The language of instruction is English. Students participating in this program will be trained in three major areas:
- Hardware Architectures of Embedded Systems
- System-on-Chip Design
- System Software
The applicant must hold at least a B.Sc. degree (or equivalent) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related programme. At the time of application preliminary transcripts are accepted.
The grade average of the previous study should prove high qualification of the applicant. This will normally be the case for a grade average of `B` or better in terms of the ECTS grading scale.
Applicants need to prove that they have sufficient fluency in English. A TOEFL test with at least a score of 600 paper-based/250 computer-based/100 internet-based or an Academic IELTS score of at least 6.5 overall and with 6 in writing is required. The TOEFL code number of the University of Kaiserslautern is 7967.
For nationals of countries listed under this link the proof of language proficiency is waived.
Taking the GRE test is recommended (but not mandatory). The GRE code number of the University of Kaiserslautern is 7143.
The applicant must show that he/she is well motivated for the Embedded Computing Systems programme by writing a short letter of motivation.
The application must be supported by two letters of recommendation.
In order to apply for EMECS you need to create an account on the online application platform. On the application platform you can also apply for an Erasmus Mundus Scholarship. No separate scholarship application is needed.
Erasmus Mundus EMECS Scholarship Description
If you are a non-EU student (Category A Scholarship):
Contribution to travel, installation and any other type of costs: € 4000 per year Full coverage of the EMECS participation costs (tuition): € 4000 / semester Monthly allowance: € 1000 / month
If you are an EU student (Category B Scholarship):
Full coverage of the EMECS participation costs (tuition): € 1500 / semester Monthly allowance: € 500 / month
Participation costs must be understood as any compulsory administrative/operational cost related to the participation of the student in the program (e.g. library, laboratory, tuition, social security and insurance costs, etc.). Any other costs that may be charged in addition being compulsory or voluntary, must be communicated to the candidate student at application stage.
Monthly allowance amounts may be increased in order to cover the additional costs of students with special needs; EMECS will have to inform the Agency accordingly in the context of their annual student scholarship applications.
Scholarships can be awarded to masters students selected by the EMECS consortium who came from a country other than an eligible applicant country and who are not residents nor have carried out their main activity (studies, work, etc., …) for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years in one of these countries.
Scholoarships can be awarded to any masters students selected by the EMECS consortium and who do not fulfil the Category A criteria defined above.
General program-related issues:
- Application procedure: Dr. Christian Tuttas
- EMECS Coordinator: Prof. Wolfgang Kunz
For partner-specific questions please contact:
(TUK)General information and services:
International School of Graduate Studies
Mr. Arthur Harutyunyan
University of Kaiserslautern
Building 36 Room 264
Phone: +49 631 205 4980
Fax: +49 631 205 4997
Academic course advisor: Prof. Wolfgang Kunz
(NTNU)General information and services:
Office of International Relations
Ms. Oddrun Maao
O. S. Bragstads plass 3
NO-7491 Trondheim, Norway
Phone: +47 7359 8139
Fax: +47 7359 5210
Academic course advisor: Prof. Einar J. Aas
(UoS)General information and services:
Student Services Centre
George Thomas Building 37
University of Southampton
Southampton SO17 1BJ, U.K.
Phone: +44 2380 599 599
Fax: +44 2380 599 595
School of Electronics and Computer Science
Mrs Denise Harvey / Mrs Sue Ganney
Phone: +44 (0) 2380 593782/02380 592630
Fax: +44(0)2380 594508
- Master Scholarships in Embedded Computing Systems, Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships, International Master in Management of IT (IMMIT), Europe
- Master Scholarships in European Literary Cultures, Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus 2010 MSc Scholarships in Photonics, Europe
- European Master on Software Engineering (EMSE), Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Master Scholarship, Erasmus Mundus MACLANDS, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus Master Scholarships, Mathematical Modelling in Engineering, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate Program (EMJD) 2010-2013, Europe
- Master Scholarships in Lifelong Learning (MALLL), Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Master Scholarships in Systems Biology, Erasmus Mundus, Europe