Under the Excellence Scholarship & Opportunity Programme (ESOP) students receive a special scholarship for the duration of their programme as well as specific supervision. The scholarship covers the full study and living costs during their Master’s degree course.
Under the Master Scholarship Programme (MSP) students receive a partial stipend during their Master’s degree course and the offer of an assistantship.
Who can apply?
The scholarship programmes are open to excellent students both from the ETH and from other universities (national and international) wishing to pursue their Master’s degree at ETH Zurich. The prerequisite is a very good result in their Bachelor’s. Students must belong to the best 10 percent of their Bachelor’s programme.
The application consists of
- an application form (the same for both programmes)
- a letter of motivation
- a pre-proposal for your Master’s thesis (see the separate guidelines on how to write a pre-proposal (PDF, 23 KB) )
- letters of recommendation from two professors
All information provided in the application must be complete and correct. The pre-proposal for the Master’s thesis must be developed by the applicant him/herself and use established scientific citation practice (see here for further information ).
Plagiarism, negligent or intentional misinformation will lead to exclusion from the admission process or - if discovered later - to the revocation of the admission and of any scholarship.
If you are applying for more than one Master’s programme, please submit a separate application form for each degree programme.
Students who have already been admitted to a Master’s programme can no longer apply for the Excellence Scholarship & Opportunity Programme or a Master Scholarship Programme.
Scholarship amount and duration
The Excellence Scholarship consists of a grant covering living and study expenses (CHF 1,750 per month) as well as a tuition fee waiver. The scholarship begins when the student commences his or her Master’s degree and is awarded for the regular duration of the Master’s programme (three or four semesters). It is awarded independently of the scholarship holder’s financial situation.
The Master Scholarship Programme consists of a partial stipend for living and study expenses (CHF 850 per month during the first semester and CHF 600 per month from the second semester onwards) as well as a tuition fee waiver. After the first semester there is the possibility of taking on an assistantship (with a payment of CHF 600 per month).
The scholarship begins when the student commences his or her Master’s degree and is awarded for the regular duration of the Master’s programme (three or four semesters). It is awarded independently of the scholarship holder’s financial situation. The Master Scholarship Programme requires a financial contribution from the scholarship holder.
The applications are evaluated by the Admissions Committees of the respective Master’s programmes. The final decision for awarding scholarships in the Excellence Scholarship & Opportunity Programme and in the Master Scholarship Programme rests with the Rector of the ETH. The number of annual scholarships depends on the availability of funds.
Application form (PDF, 944 KB)
Application deadline for the Excellence Scholarship for Master programmes starting in 2014 is 15 December 2013 (date of postmark).
Please note that all applications sent by post must arrive at the Scholarship Office no later than two working days after the application deadline (i.e. on 17 December 2013).
Late applications cannot be considered.
Guidelines on how to write a pre-proposal
Here you will find some short guidelines on how to write your pre-proposal (PDF, 22 KB).
+41 44 632 20 40 or +41 44 632 20 88
- International PhD Programs in Life Science, University of Zurich, Switzerland
- PhD Position on Weather Insurance Design Project at ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- Yamaha Music Foundation Of Europe Scholarship
- PhD Position (Open Source Software), ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- AISTS MSA Athlete Scholarship, Switzerland
- Swiss Government Scholarships for Foreign Students for University, Fine Arts and Music School, Switzerland
- Excellence Scholarships for International Students, ESSEC Business School, France
- PhD Fellowships, Werner Siemens Foundation, Switzerland
- Sawiris Doctoral Scholarships for Students from Developing Countries, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- FIFA Master Scholarship for FIFA/CIES International University Network Alumni, Switzerland
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.