Excellence scholarships for PhD students to participate in the PhD Program “Global Food Security“ at the University of Hohenheim, Germany
The Food Security Center (FSC) is a university center of excellence in development collaboration at the University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany. FSC is one of five excellence centers of the pro-gram “exceed – Higher Education Excellence in Development Cooperation”, which is supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) with funds of the Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) of Germany. FSC’s mission is to make effective and innova-tive scientific contributions in research, teaching, and policy advice to eradicate hunger and achieve food security in collaboration with partner research and education organizations in Africa, Asia, and Latin America and national and international development and research organizations. Thematically, FSC’s activities deal with issues of sustainable food availability, food access, food use, and food utilization. More information is available from www.foodsecurity.de.
FSC awards 10 scholarships for PhD students from developing countries (see OECD DAC list) for a period of 36 months, beginning September 01, 2012 (with a month German language course). The Center wishes to attract outstanding PhD students pursuing a career in academia or development collaboration. The scholarship aims at increasing their previously gained scientific knowledge and skills relevant to food security related issues. The successful candidates will receive scholarships for participating in the PhD program “Global Food Security” to conduct their doctorates.
The scholarship is given for a stay at the University of Hohenheim in Stuttgart, Germany. The monthly grant is EUR 1,000 (for the time in Germany, EUR 500 for the time of the field research). In addition, FSC pays for traveling to/from Hohenheim. Health insurance and other costs must be paid for from the stipend.
Besides the general selection criteria for the PhD program “Global Food Security” (see announce-ment of the PhD program “Global Food Security”), the following criteria have to be met additionally, if applying for an “Excellence scholarship”:
- Latest academic degree completed no more than 6 years prior to start of scholarship;
- Indication for return to his/her home country and institute;
- Be a national of a developing country according to OECD DAC list.
The applicant has to submit the application documents for the PhD program “Global Food Security” and indicate in FSC’s application form, whether s/he applies for an “Excellence scholarship”. In ad-dition to the general application, the applicant has to provide proof regarding the additional selection criteria mentioned above.
The deadline for the application for an “Excellence scholarship” is October 26th, 2011.
There is one joint application and selection process. Only those applications are accepted which fol-low the application instruction and are submitted with FSC’s application format (see FSC’s web-page).
Please send your application (only!) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
FSC will confirm the receipt of all (complete) applications (i.e., if an application is not complete, FSC will not consider it and will not confirm receipt of the application).
The selection of the candidates will be in December, 2011, the program will start on September 1, 2012.
All accepted applications will be selected according to the following criteria:
- Fulfillment of announcement criteria of the PhD program “Global Food Security” (cf. “Ad-mission” and “Application”);
- Quality of proposal and project feasibility.
For all pre-selected candidates, FSC will look for a supervisor at the University of Hohenheim. Only after a professor of the University of Hohenheim has accepted the candidate, s/he will be ultimately selected and invited to join the PhD program “Global Food Security” and – if applied for a scholar-ship – awarded an “Excellence scholarship”.
The selected applicants will be contacted no later than January 25, 2012. Please be aware that FSC will contact only successful candidates.
In case you have further questions, please contact Ms Elke Breitmayer: email@example.com
For more information, please visit official website: fsc.uni-hohenheim.de.
- PhD in International Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany
- South - South PhD Sandwich Scholarships, University of Hohenheim, Germany
- MSc Food & Water Security Scholarships (FWSS), Aberystwyth University, UK
- Master Scholarships, Institute of Biological Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS), UK
- PhD Scholarships in Interdisciplinary Research, Ruhr-University Research School, Germany
- Competitive Research Grant by Danone Institute, Indonesia
- Master Scholarships in Food Technology, Wageningen University, Netherlands
- Master Scholarships in Biosciences, University of Exeter, UK
- Master & Doctoral Scholarships by Australian Leadership Awards 2011, Australia
- Master Scholarship 2010 in the Science of Animal-Derived Foods, Erasmus Mundus Food of Life, Europe