Primary supervisor: Professor Pauline Slade (firstname.lastname@example.org)
It is now recognized that up to 30 % of women experience childbirth as traumatic and up to 5% of women may experience significant symptoms of post traumatic stress in relation to this event. The studentship will focus in this area with particular consideration on further development of models of predictive and protective factors or methods of identification and testing of brief interventions.
SLADE, P. (2006) Towards a conceptual framework for understanding post traumatic stress symptoms following childbirth and implications for further research . Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynaecology 27 99-105
Ayers, S., Joseph, S., McKenzie-MCHarg, K., SLADE, P. and Wijma, K.(2008) Post-traumatic stress disorder following childbirth: current issues and recommendations for future research Journal Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynaecology 29 240-250
Start date: 1 October 2010
Informal enquiries should be addressed to: Professor Pauline Slade (email@example.com)
Candidates are encouraged to contact the named supervisor directly prior to any application and should specify the project area of interest in their application.
Students with a high 2(1) or first class undergraduate degree in Psychology (essential) and an MSc which incorporates experience of research methods in Psychology (desirable) are invited to apply for this scholarship, which is offered for a three year period and is to be held within the Department of Psychology.
The studentship will require excellent verbal and written communication skills (IELTS 7.5 where English is not the first language) and the capacity to travel as recruitment could be based in Sheffield or York/Harrogate.
The scholarship provides fees at the standard UK/EU rate (£3460 per annum) and a maintenance allowance at the Research Council rate (£13,590 per annum), plus support for Research Training.
How to apply
To make an application please contact:
Mrs Josie Cassidy
Department of Psychology
Tel: 0114 2226515, Fax: 0114 2766515
Closing date for applications is 19 July 2010
- Undergraduate Science International Scholarships 2010, University of Sheffield, UK
- EF Education, Kaplan and Study Group Scholarships, Sheffield Hallam University, UK
- Undergraduate Engineering International Scholarships 2010, University of Sheffield, UK
- PhD Studentship, Alzheimers Society, University of Edinburgh, UK
- PhD Studentships, Bournemouth University, UK
- PhD Studentships, Dr Giovanni d’Avossa, School of Psychology, Bangor University, UK
- Scholarships for Students from Indonesia, University of Sheffield, UK
- PhD Studentships, Prof David Linden, School of Psychology, Bangor University, UK
- International Achievement Scholarships, Sheffield Hallam University, UK
- Postgraduate Scholarships, Sheffield Hallam University, UK