Gates Corporation is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of industrial and automotive products, systems and components with operations in 29 countries. Gates maintains sales and marketing operations in every major industrial and automotive market, including North and South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and the Middle East. Gates is part of the Industrial & Automotive group of Tomkins plc, which is owned by a consortium comprising Onex and the Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board. Tomkins enjoys strong market positions and technical leadership across all of its business activities and owns some of the best-known brands in their respective markets.
In support of the FIRST mission, Gates Corporation is offering six educational scholarships, each for $2,000, to high school seniors who have participated on a 2011 FIRST Robotics Competition Team. This scholarship may be utilized for any undergraduate course of study at any United States college or university that holds accredited status
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a senior in high school for the 2010-2011 school year
- Have participated on a team during the 2011 FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC)
- Provide evidence that your 2011 FRC team used a belt on the competition robot
Submission of Scholarship Application Package
The completed 2011 Gates FIRST Scholarship application package must be submitted online, no later than May 15, 2011, 11:59 p.m. MST. Scholarship application packages submitted after the deadline will not be considered. Download PDF Application and Requirements.
Application package includes:
- A completed Gates FIRST Scholarship Online Application
- A one page or shorter answer to the Gates 2011 Challenge Question, uploaded as a Word, PDF or jpg file.
- A one page or shorter letter of recommendation from an adult mentor/coach on your FIRST team, confirming the use of a belt drive on the competition robot and your participation in the 2011 FRC season, uploaded as a Word, PDF or jpg file.
Questions? Email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Schecter Synyster Gates Guitar Scholarship, Musicians Institute, USA
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships, University of Cambridge, UK
- Postgraduate Research Scholarships, Australian Centre for Field Robotics, University of Sydney, Australia
- 2011 Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) Scholarship, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USA
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships 2010 in Robotics, Europe
- Master Scholarships in VIsion & roBOTics (VIBOT), Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- PhD Position in Robotics, University of Lübeck, Germany
- PhD Position in Humanoid Robotics, Italian Institute of Technology, Italy
- Gates Vaccine Innovation Award, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USA
- Rio Tinto PhD Scholarship in Mining Automation, University of Sydney, Australia
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.