Two Harry Worthington Scholarships are available to applicants wishing to undertake doctoral study in any Faculty of the University for entry in 2014-15. These scholarships were founded under the will of Miss Doreen Worthington in memory of her father Harry, a local steel manufacturer, and are awarded to two outstanding new PhD applicants.
You can read about some of our current Harry Worthington Scholarship holders on our current scholarship holders page.
A Harry Worthington Scholarship covers the cost of tuition fees (UK, EU or Overseas) and provides an annual, tax-free maintenance stipend at the standard UK Research rate, which for 2013-14 was £13,726.
Awards are tenable for a maximum of three years full-time subject to satisfactory progress.
- You should have, or expect to achieve, a first or upper second class UK honours degree or equivalent qualifications gained outside the UK in an appropriate area of study.
- You should be applying to start your first year of study with the University in 2014-15 on a full-time or part-time programme of doctoral study (i.e. after 1st August 2014, exact start date to be agreed with your supervisor/ department).
- Awards are open to UK, EU and international applicants.
How to apply
Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis - applications are assessed on the basis of academic success and qualifications, experience, research background, a clear well-articulated research proposal, the potential impact of the research and a good match with supervisor/ departmental expertise.
1. As a first step you should contact an academic department / supervisor to discuss your proposed research project.
2. Apply for admission as a PhD student. Once you have done this you will receive an application/ admissions number (usually within a few working days). You will need this number to apply for a scholarship, so please ensure that you apply in plenty of time before the deadline.
3. Once you have an application number, apply for a scholarship by completing the scholarships application form. This form will be considered alongside the information and supporting documents (transcripts, references etc) that you supplied with your admissions application. You can use this form to apply for various scholarship schemes (University Prize, Faculty, Harry Worthington, Wolfson, ESRC DTC Scholarships) - please complete it once only, ticking the schemes you wish to be considered for.
4. The closing date for Harry Worthington scholarship applications is Monday 3rd February 2014 at 12 noon. Late applications will not be accepted in any circumstances.
5. Your application will be reviewed by scholarship panels, and you will be informed of the outcome after the February deadline, and before the end of May 2014.
If you have any questions about the Harry Worthington Scholarships please email see our FAQs or email email@example.com.
- University Prize Scholarships, University of Sheffield, UK
- Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarships in the Humanities, University of Sheffield, UK
- Undergraduate Science International Scholarships 2010, University of Sheffield, UK
- Undergraduate Engineering International Scholarships 2010, University of Sheffield, UK
- Scholarships for Students from Indonesia, University of Sheffield, UK
- EF Education, Kaplan and Study Group Scholarships, Sheffield Hallam University, UK
- Postgraduate Scholarships, Sheffield Hallam University, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarship in Psychology, University of Sheffield, UK
- Transform Together Scholarships, Sheffield Hallam University, UK
- Arts & Humanities Masters Fee Scholarships, University of Sheffield, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.