The Harvard Academy identifies and supports outstanding scholars at the start of their careers whose work combines disciplinary excellence in the social sciences, including history, with a command of the language, history or culture of non-Western countries or regions. Their scholarship may elucidate domestic, comparative, or transnational issues, past or present.
Academy Graduate Fellows are full-time doctoral students at Harvard University who have completed all coursework and examinations and most of their research. They receive the Fellowship as their dissertation completion year. They join a select community of individuals with resourcefulness, initiative, curiosity and originality whose work in non-Western cultures or regions shows promise as a foundation for exceptional research careers.
Graduate Fellows are resident during the academic year and participate fully in the Academy’s activities. They present their research once during their year as Graduate Fellows. They share offices in the Harvard Academy and receive the Harvard Academy predoctoral stipend ($28,000), medical insurance costs, research funds ($2,000), and mentoring from the Harvard Academy Senior Scholars.
Harvard Academy Graduate Fellows are ineligible for reappointment. They may apply to be a Harvard Academy Scholar, though their year as a Graduate Fellow will count as one of 2 years at the Harvard Academy.
How to Apply
Harvard Departments in the social sciences and history may nominate graduate students as Harvard Academy Graduate Fellows. There is no self-nomination and no application form. The nominee must provide a cover letter, a CV, and a statement describing their research. A dissertation chapter, an annotated table of contents or titles of papers, an official transcript and a letter of recommendation from a Harvard faculty member are also required. The letter should include discussion of progress toward degree. All materials are due October 1 each year. Graduate Fellow finalists will be interviewed with Academy Scholar finalists in Cambridge in early December. Recipients will be notified in early January.
Applications should be mailed to:
The Academy Scholars Program
Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies
Weatherhead Center for International Affairs
1727 Cambridge Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
All materials must be received by October 1 of each year. The selection process begins immediately thereafter. Applicants whose materials are late or incomplete are at a disadvantage when considered by the Selection Committee. Announcement of the awards will be made in January.
For additional information contact:
Kathleen Hoover, Program Coordinator - email@example.com
Laurence H. Winnie, Executive Officer - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Harvard Academy Fellowships in Social Sciences, History and Law, USA
- Predoctoral & Postdoctoral Fellowships, Harvard Academy, Harvard University, USA
- Committee on General Scholarships, Harvard University, USA
- Asia Center Graduate Summer Research Grants, Harvard University, USA
- Nuclear Security Fellowship, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Harvard University, USA
- Boustany Foundation MBA Scholarship, Harvard Business School, USA
- Harvard Postdoctoral Position in Science, Technology and Society, Harvard University, USA
- Frank Knox Fellowships, Harvard University, USA
- Ancora Foundation Graduate Fellowship, Harvard University, USA
- Beasiswa SMA, Sampoerna Academy, Putera Sampoerna Foundation, Indonesia