Hermes Fellowships were designed to offer young and promising foreign researchers in the humanities and social sciences the chance to be visiting researchers in French universities and research centers. This program is open to researchers from: China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Peru, and South Africa.
The Hermes Program is financed by the French Ministries of Foreign Affairs and of Education and Research, the Department of Human and Social Sciences of the National Center of Scientific Research (CNRS), and the Fondation Maison des Sciences de l`Homme (FMSH).
Hermes fellowships are granted for 3 to 9 month periods. They were designed in order to give foreign researchers the opportunity to:
- carry out an individual research project within a hosting laboratory;
- become part of French and European scientific networks;
- set up lasting partnerships between their home institutions and the hosting institutions in France
The hosting laboratories in France – university research units or research institutions in Paris or elsewhere in the country – are chosen by the invited researchers. This decision is made in agreement with the fellowship selection committee and the scientific board of the FMSH. This joint process is intended to help candidates make the necessary contacts.
Scientific Fields Covered by the Hermes Program
All disciplines in the humanities and social sciences are eligible. However, priority is given to research projects addressing issues facing the contemporary world and those that have an interdisciplinary dimension.
Application deadlines: March 31 and September 30 of the current year.
Scientific director: Hinnerk Bruhns
Program administrator: Neli Dobreva
- Doctoral Scholarships in Humanities and Social Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
- Ampère Excellence Scholarships, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, France
- Imam Bukhari & Imam Tirmizi Visiting Research Fellowships, Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies, UK
- Postdoctoral Fellowships in Japanese Studies, Harvard University, USA
- ACLS Fellowships, American Research in the Humanities in China
- The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) Fellowships 2011 - 2012, France
- The Michigan Society of Fellows 2010, University of Michigan, USA
- Research Fellowships Competition, Lucy Cavendish College, University of Cambridge, UK
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate Program (EMJD) 2010-2013, Europe
- Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study Fellowships, Harvard University, USA