The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS), established by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) in 2009, aims at attracting the best and brightest students from all over the world to pursue their PhD studies in Hong Kong.
Applicants for admission to PhD programmes at HKBU via the HKPFS will concurrently be considered for regular places assigned to the University through the award of Postgraduate Studentship. Those who are not selected for the Fellowship may be given separate consideration for admission as Research Postgraduate students at HKBU via the award of Postgraduate Studentship.
Those who are seeking admission as new full-time PhD students, irrespective of their country of origin and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply. Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability / potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
While the academic excellence is of prime consideration, the Review Panels will take into account, but is not limited to, the four yardsticks below for the selection of candidates:
- Academic excellence;
- Research ability and potential;
- Communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Leadership abilities.
Entrance and English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants seeking admission to the PhD degree programme should possess:
- a master’s degree from a recognized university or comparable institution; or
- any other qualification deemed by the Graduate School to be acceptable for this purpose.
Candidates under paragraph (b) may be required to take a qualifying examination, in which event their progress shall be reported to the Graduate School at the end of their first year of study.
For applicants from non-English speaking universities, unless they provide proof that English is the language of instruction, they are required to provide score results of Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IETLS). This requirement is exempted if applicants’ proposed PhD studies/programmes are specifically in non-English medium, e.g. in Chinese language. The TOEFL institution code of HKBU is 9467.
The Scheme will call for application on 3 September 2012. An initial application should be made through the Online Application System at the RGC’s website (https://cerg1.ugc.edu.hk/hkpfs/InitApplication.jsp). A full application should then be submitted to the HKBU, Graduate School through the online application system (http://buar.hkbu.edu.hk/index.php/ admission/postgraduate_admissions/on-line_applications) which will also be available from 3 September 2012. Each applicant may choose up to two programmes. The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship application is also regarded as a formal application for PhD admission, and applicants are therefore required to fully comply with HKBU’s admission requirements. Applicants who are not selected for the Fellowship Scheme will be considered as regular application.
- Submit initial applications to the RGC: 1 December 2012, 12:00:00 (Hong Kong time or GMT +8)
- Full applications to HKBU: 1 December 2012, 23:59:59 (Hong Kong time or GMT +8)
Research Grants Council (for Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme)
Fax: (852) 2845 1183
Graduate School, Hong Kong Baptist University
Address: Graduate School, Level 7, Fong Shu Chuen Library, Ho Sin Hang Campus, Waterloo Road, Hong Kong Baptist University, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Enquiry hotline: (852) 3411 5127
Fax: (852) 3411 5133
- Fully Funded Research MPhil/PhD Programmes in Linguistics at The University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS)
- PhD Fellowship, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
- International Research Scholarships, European Union Academic Programme (EUAP), Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Postgraduate Scholarships, University of Birmingham, UK
- Curtin Health Science - English Language Bridging Scholarships, Curtin University, Australia
- Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation Postgraduate Scholarships in Film, Visual & Performing Arts, University of Kent, UK
- Undergraduate Scholarships for Non-local Students, Lingnan University, Hong Kong
- Fujitsu Asia Pacific Scholarship
- Undergraduate Scholarships and Awards, The University of Liverpool, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.