International Engagement Awards are for projects that support Wellcome Trust-funded researchers in low- and middle-income countries to:
- engage with the public and policy makers
- strengthen capacity to conduct public engagement with biomedical science and health research
- stimulate dialogue about research and its impact on the public in a range of community and public contexts
- promote collaboration on engagement projects between researchers and community or public organisations.
Projects could engage:
- communities and members of the public (particularly those affected by or involved in biomedical and health research)
- science communicators, health and science journalists
- healthcare professionals, educators, field workers, community workers
- policy and decision makers.
The audience for the project, and the engagement activity, must be in a low- or middle-income country.
How do I apply?
To be eligible, you must be either:
- directly funded by the Wellcome Trust (as a researcher, research group or institution); or
- working with a researcher, research group, institution or consortium directly funded by the Wellcome Trust.
We encourage informal discussions about potential project ideas before you submit an application, although we cannot review draft applications.
To apply for a grant of up to £30 000 for up to three years, complete a preliminary application form and submit it to the Trust by the date indicated under the ‘Deadlines’ tab.
We will assess preliminary applications for eligibility, their link to Trust-funded research and the quality of the proposed engagement project. If your preliminary application is successful, we will invite you to make a full application.
Please note that applications that do not have an appropriate link to Trust-funded research will not be accepted. Such links must be agreed with the Trust-funded grantholder in advance of submission.
Final decisions will be made approximately five months after the preliminary application deadline.
Larger grants of more than £30 000 can be applied for by invitation only to support exceptional projects.
Upcoming preliminary deadlines for the International Engagement Awards are: 19 August 2013
You can contact us at:
International Engagement Awards
215 Euston Road
London NW1 2BE, UK
T +44 (0)20 7611 8806
For more information, please visit official website: www.wellcome.ac.uk.
- Wellcome Trust 4 Year PhD Programmes, University of Oxford, UK
- Master Fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Wellcome Trust, UK
- Training Fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Wellcome Trust, UK
- PhD in Genomic Medicine and Statistics, University of Oxford, UK
- Vice-Chancellor’s Student Award for Engagement, Edith Cowan University, Australia
- MSc Scholarships in Science Communication and Public Engagement, University of Edinburgh, UK
- University Trust International Leadership Scholarship, University of Glasgow, UK
- Postgraduate Scholarships, Allan and Nesta Ferguson Charitable Trust, University of Birmingham, UK
- PhD Studentships in Bioinformatics / Computational Biology, University College Cork, Ireland
- Master Scholarship by UK Government - British Chevening Awards 2010/2011, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.