The Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences (BIGSSS) invites applications to its Ph.D. program. The program will commence on September 1st, 2012.
Successful applicants for the Ph.D. and Post-doc fellowships will pursue a topic in one of BIGSSS’ five Thematic Fields:
- Global Integration
- Integration and Diversity in the New Europe
- Social Integration and the Welfare State
- Attitude Formation, Value Change and Intercultural Communication
- Life-Course and Lifespan Dynamics
All fellows are expected to choose Bremen as their place of residence.
BIGSSS offers 15 Ph.D. stipends of 1250 Euros/month for 36 months, contingent on successful completion of each year. To support its Ph.D. fellows in achieving early scientific independence, it also provides funds for conducting, presenting and publishing research. There is no separate funding application, because all admitted applicants receive a stipend.
- An excellent MA degree (or national equivalents like the German “Diplom” or “Magister”) in a discipline pertinent to at least one of BIGSSS’ five Thematic fields (see above), i.e. in Political Science (including related degree programs in European Studies or International Relations), Sociology, Psychology, Law, Economics or Mass Communication. The degree must be completed by the end of July of the year of application, which means you may apply before having finished your MA degree.
- English proficiency as described in the application materials section below.
- Additionally BIGSSS offers 2 Preparatory Fellowships to particularly talented BA Graduates.
Diversity and Anti-Discrimination
BIGSSS believes that diverse backgrounds and ideas are crucial to academic excellence. Therefore, BIGSSS welcomes and promotes diversity and ensures equal opportunity and inclusion for all of its members regardless of ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age or (dis-)ability.
The application period for the Fall 2012 semester will begin in the middle of December 2011 and go until March 15th, 2012. The deadline refers to the date of receipt of the application. All letters of recommendation must also reach BIGSSS by March 15th, 2012.
For more information, please visit official website: www.bigsss-bremen.de.
- Hermes Fellowships for Postdoctoral Student in Humanities and Social Sciences, France
- Doctoral Scholarships in Humanities and Social Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
- PhD Fellowships, Berlin Graduate School of Muslim Cultures and Societies, Germany
- PhD Scholarships in Humanities and Social Sciences, Freie Universität Berlin, Graduate School of North American Studies, Germany
- Visiting Fellowships in History and Sociology, Bielefeld University, Germany
- Otto Bayer Scholarships, Bayer Foundations, Germany
- Doctoral Fellowships in Psychology, International Max Planck Research School, Germany
- Imam Bukhari & Imam Tirmizi Visiting Research Fellowships, Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies, UK
- PhD Fellowships in Economics, Frankfurt School of Finance & Management, Germany
- Leibniz - DAAD Research Fellowships, Germany
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.