The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers a limited number of scholarships to outstanding international students undertaking a postgraduate coursework Master degree in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. These scholarships cover the tuition fees for the duration of the course.
- have received an unconditional offer of admission to a Master degree in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. This means that applicants must have met the Faculty’s English language requirements, as well as academic admission requirements. For information on English language requirements, please visit the International Office website.
- have a minimum of 7.0 IELTS (overall) or equivalent if they are from a non-English speaking background
- be commencing postgraduate study at the University for the first time
- be a citizen of a country other than Australia or New Zealand, and may not hold permanent residency in Australia
- NOT be in receipt of any other tuition fee scholarship
There is strong competition for these scholarships. Selection is primarily based on academic merit, including excellent results in the applicant’s English language test where applicable. Applicants must also provide a statement regarding why they want to undertake their chosen program and what they hope to achieve following graduation.
Please note: It is very important that applicants make clear the degree for which they are applying.
These scholarships exempt students from the international student tuition fees for the duration of the course.
Items NOT covered by the IPCS include:
- a living allowance
- travel or relocation costs
- overseas fieldwork costs
- visa application fees
- tuition fees for any units beyond those required for the completion of the degree
- text books
- overseas student health cover (OSHC)
- other forms of insurance
Scholarships are awarded on the basis that the student will commence study in the academic year for which it is offered, and for the program in which a place has been offered in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. A scholarship holder may defer commencement of the program of study, and of the award of a scholarship, for one semester only.
The scholarship is limited to the standard duration of the course.
Scholarship holders may in special circumstances take leave of absence from their scholarship for a maximum of one semester. Students must check their visa conditions before applying for leave; and they must apply for permission in advance of taking such leave.
These scholarships cannot be transferred from one institution to another, nor can they be transferred from one degree to another within the University of Sydney. Requests to transfer a scholarship from one degree to another within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences will be considered by the Associate Dean, Postgraduate Coursework, but transferal of the scholarship is not guaranteed.
Termination of Scholarships
Scholarships will be terminated:
- if the student fails to meet the eligibility requirements
- if the student fails to maintain a credit average in the program
- when the student ceases to be enrolled as a full-time postgraduate coursework student, or discontinues their study
- if the University determines that the student is guilty of serious misconduct, including, but not limited to, having provided false or misleading information
- if the student does not resume study at the end of a period of approved leave
- if the student is granted permanent residency in Australia. Students must immediately advise the International Office and the Faculty Office about any changes to their visa status
How to Apply
There is no application form for these scholarships. If you wish to apply, please complete and attach a personal statement with your application for admission to the International Office. This personal statement should set out your academic and extra-curricular or professional achievements, and outline why you want to undertake your chosen course and what you hope to achieve following graduation.
For further information about applications for admission to a postgraduate coursework degree, please see the International Office website.
To be considered for this scholarship applications must be submitted by 30 April 2013.
- International Master Scholarship in Law, University of Sydney, Australia
- International Postgraduate Coursework Scholarships (IPCS), Faculty of Arts, University of Sydney, Australia
- Postgraduate Scholarships in Hydrogeochemistry, University of Sydney, Australia
- University of Sydney International Scholarship (USydIS), Australia
- Undergraduate Scholarships, University of Sydney, Australia
- Jae My Postgraduate Scholarship in Korean Studies, University of Sydney, Australia
- Postgraduate Scholarship in Tropical Palaeo-climate, University of Sydney, Australia
- Endeavour Postgraduate Awards for Master and PhD, Australia
- MBA Scholarship for Outstanding International Students, University of Technology Sydney, Australia
- Postgraduate Scholarship in Cancer Epidemiology (Gynaecological Cancers), University of Sydney, Australia
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.