International Student Special Scholarship Program (The University of Tokyo Fellowship)
Application Information for October 2014
The purpose of this scholarship is twofold: to financially support Self-Supported International Students whose academic performance is outstanding and to increase the number of students from abroad.
Definition of Self-Supported International Students
“Self-Supported International Students” are international students with a College Student Visa who are not receiving the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship nor any governmental scholarship from home.
Qualifications for Applicants
Self-Supported Students with excellent grades who pass the entrance examination for the Ph.D Program at the Graduate School of Science will qualify (however, not eligible if claiming tuition fee exemption) and enter the program in October 2014. Recipients of other scholarship starting from October 2014 are not eligible. An applicant will be required to withdraw from this scholarship if the applicant is deemed to be the recipient of another scholarship.
- Number of Recipient: One person
- Monthly Stipend: 200,000 yen
- Term of Scholarship: From October, 2014 to September, 2017
- Application Deadline: April 30 (Wed.), 2014
Applicants should submit the application form to the Graduate School Office at the time of application for a Ph.D Program.
- Application 1 original
- One letter of recommendation from the faculty of your college or university 1 original
Nomination of Candidate
Based on the submitted documents the Selection Committee will select and nominate the candidate to the Dean.
Selection and Result
The recipient will be decided by the Dean based on the nomination from the Selection Committee. The notification will be sent to the applicant by postal mail together with the acceptance letter for the Ph.D Program.
Payment of Scholarship
The stipend will be paid into the bank account quarterly after getting the confirmation of enrollment.
Suspension / Return of Scholarship
- If the grantee takes a leave of absence or a long absence from the school (including leaving Japan for more than one month), the supervisor is requested to submit documentary proof to the Dean and the stipend will be suspended with the approval of the Dean.
- The grantee can get the return of scholarship if the condition mentioned in (1) has changed and the documentary proof is submitted to the Dean by the supervisor.
Termination of Stipend
If the grantee meets one of the conditions listed below, the supervisor is required to submit documentary proof to the Dean and the stipend will be terminated with the approval by the Dean.
- Withdrawal from the Graduate School of Science
- Severe drop of academic performance
- A research report is not submitted every fiscal year
- If the grantee does not need a scholarship
- If deemed inappropriate as a recipient
Return of Scholarship Payment
If the grantee quits or stops studying or is deemed inappropriate as a scholarship recipient, the grantee may be ordered to return scholarship payments (either the whole amount or partially) by the Graduate School of Science.
The recipient can withdraw from the scholarship by consulting with the supervisor.
If the recipient meets one of the conditions listed below, the supervisor is required to submit the notification to the Dean.
- Leave of absence, return to school or long absence from school
- Withdrawal from the Graduate School of Science
- Change in address, name, contact information and other important matters
Submission of Research Report
The scholarship recipients are required to submit a research report at the end of every fiscal year (the end of March) with approval from the supervisor.
Report Submission & Contact
International Liaison Office Tel: +81-3-5841-7630
For more information, please visit official website: www.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp.
- Short Term Exchange Program (STEP) - Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology (TUAT)
- Tokyo Institute of Technology Student Exchange Program, Japan
- Japan Educational Seminar in Indonesia
- Graduate Program in Sustainability Science (GPSS) Scholarships, University of Tokyo, Japan
- Travel Grant for Starting Scholars from Overseas, Japan Sociological Society
- Inpex Scholarship Foundation for Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM), Japan
- Program Pertukaran Pelajar Rikkyo University Special International Student (RUSIS) 2011-2012
- Ajinomoto Scholarship for ASEAN International Students, University of Tokyo, Japan
- Special Graduate Program in Engineering for Systems Innovation, University of Tokyo, Japan
- International Graduate Program, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.
I’m really interested in this scholarship offer. but how can I applying ?
thank you so much, and please responding.
I am excited in this programs about scholarship. I hope, after i done my graduate S1, i will be continue the college
Iam like in this programs about scholarship
Iam wan school in the jappanes
iam like this programs about scholarship
and iam wan school n the japan
i m very interesting in this program. Please help me how to apply for student Exchange programm!!!
I want school in japan
but i can’t hope
that my quality and applicant can choose your choice
i just keep trying for the best for school in japan
I want to school in japan
but i can’t hope that my quality and applicant choose in your choice
if i am your choice i can trying to the best for school in University of Tokyo, Japan
Are you really serious about giving us the opportunities?
How can I get the application form?