Some limited funding is available to assist research into Islam-related issues relevant to Southeast Asia. ‘Islam and Law in Southeast Asia’ Fieldwork Scholarships of up to A$2,000 are available for Masters or PhD candidates enrolled at the University of Melbourne. The scholarships must be used to support fieldwork in Southeast Asia on Islam-related topics that match the themes of Professor Tim Lindsey’s ARC Federation Fellowship.
Please note that total funding for each scholarship WILL NOT exceed A$2,000. Successful applicants must be able to complete the fieldwork between 1 October, 2010 and 31 July, 2011.
Applicants must be:
- Masters candidates enrolled at the University of Melbourne in 2010; OR
- PhD candidates enrolled at the University of Melbourne in 2010, who intend to conduct research in Southeast Asia on a topic related to Islam, which matches the themes of Professor Tim Lindsey’s ARC Federation Fellowship.
Where appropriate, preference will be given to PhD applicants.
Successful applicants will possess:
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Enthusiasm for research
- Demonstrated exceptional scholarly capacity
- Commitment to the study of Islam and Southeast Asia
- Capacity to carry out research in this field
- Original research proposal
- Capacity to speak (or study) a Southeast Asian language relevant to the proposed research (desirable only)
It is a strict condition of the grant that results of fieldwork must appear in a Masters or PhD thesis, a book chapter or refereed journal article within three years of the date of application. Applicants will be asked to sign an agreement to meet this condition.
All applicants must complete the Federation Fellowship Fieldwork Scholarship application form below. The application MUST NOT exceed 3 pages in total.
Applications must be submitted by 5:00pm on FRIDAY 24 SEPTMBER, 2010.
The themes of the Federation Fellowship can be found at http://www.lindseyfederation.law.unimelb.edu.au
ENQUIRIES & SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
Manager, Asian Law Centre
Melbourne Law School
The University of Melbourne
Victoria 3010, Australia
Tel: +61 3 8344-1122
Fax: +61 3 8344 4546
Download form here.
- Undergraduate Scholarships, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Harold Ford Melbourne JD Scholarships, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Asian Graduate Student Fellowships, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore
- Vice-Chancellor’s Senior Research Fellows, RMIT University, Australia
- Melbourne International Fee Remission Scholarships (MIFRS), University of Melbourne, Australia
- Prime Minister’s Australia Asia Incoming Postgraduate Award, Australia
- CIMB Regional Scholarship for Postgraduate Students from Southeast Asia, Malaysia
- Foundation Studies Scholarships, RMIT University, Australia
- PhD Scholarships in Indonesian Economics, The Australian National University, Australia
- Nalanda-Sriwijaya Centre Fellowship, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS), Singapore
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.