The purpose of these Scholarships, which were established in 2005, is to encourage postgraduate women students enrolled at Victoria University to carry their research at the University or to support short term research travel abroad. They are complementary to the J. L. Stewart Postgraduate Scholarships for men students established in 1988.
Purpose of award
To encourage women students to proceed to postgraduate work at Victoria University of Wellington.
Five Kathleen Stewart Scholarships may be awarded annually by the Scholarships Committee of Victoria University of Wellington. At least two of the awards will be available to suitable graduates from the Faculty of Science. There is a preference that, in any one year, one or more of the (JL and Kathleen Stewart) Scholarships should be awarded to a student undertaking cancer research at Victoria University in association with the Malaghan Institute. The Scholarship shall be awarded to postgraduates students of Victoria University of Wellington, who during the tenure of the Scholarship, will be pursuing a full-time course leading to a Master or Doctor of Philosophy degree at Victoria University. Applications are invited from Master’s (by thesis) and PhD candidates to apply for funding to support short-term study or research abroad or support their research at Victoria University. Applicants for travel funding must require funding to support research experience in one of the following areas:
- attending a seminar, workshop or course directly related to their current research topic not available within New Zealand
- visiting a collection, research facility or library not available within New Zealand
- attending a conference, if the attendee is presenting a paper or poster
- cooperative research with researchers or research institutes abroad
Applications must be made in advance of the intended travel. Funding will be allocated up to a maximum of $2,000 based on the merit of the application and for travel funding on a submitted travel budget. The budget should include travel quotes and supporting documentation and must explain how the proposed travel will contribute to the applicant’s own research programme. Recipients of a Manurere Travel Grant may not hold this award
Number of awards offered
Up to five each year
No less than $2,000 per annum
Tenure of award
Closing dates for applications
Friday 01 July 2011
Saturday 01 October 2011
Twice Each Year 1 July and 1 October
How do students apply?
Applicants are required to submit:
(a) a completed application form available from the link above or from the Scholarships Office.
(b) a detailed description of the research topic and/or work to be undertaken abroad.
(c) A travel budget if appropriate
(d) a supporting statement from an academic referee.
Awarded by the University Scholarships Committee
How and when do students learn of the decision?
In December of the year of application.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
The Victoria University Foundation will expect recipients to write a letter of thanks to the donor on receipt of the award and an end of year progress report.
The Scholarships Office
Who else has information about this award?
Approval may be given for the Scholarships to be held with other scholarships, bursaries or similar awards.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact:
The Scholarships Office
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600
Phone: (04) 463 5113 or (04)463 5557
For more information, please visit official website: www.fis.org.nz.
- Undergraduate Scholarships for ASEAN Students, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
- Postgraduate Scholarship in Classical Piano Performance, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
- William Wallace Gibson Memorial Scholarship, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
- Postgraduate Scholarship in Classical Piano Performance, New Zealand School of Music
- Victoria Doctoral Scholarships, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
- PhD Scholarships, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand University Scholarships, New Zealand
- Le Cordon Bleu New Zealand Scholarships
- David Edge MSc Studentship, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Patricia Pratt Scholarship in Musical Performance, Massey University, New Zealand
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.