The scholarships support the investigation of competition law enforcement through criminalisation. The successful applicants will study two of the core courses on the LLM Law and choose two options from the array of optional courses. The successful applicants will complete their dissertation on one of the two following topics: Criminalising competition law - the UK experience or The EU legal basis for criminalising competition law (see project descriptions below).
The broad emphasis of both proposals is to investigate competition law enforcement through criminalisation. The UK, and a number of other competition law jurisdictions in the USA, other EU Member States, the Commonwealth and elsewhere, is already using criminal law as part of its enforcement process. There has been extensive controversy as to the desirability and effectiveness of this tool. Since December 2009 and the implementation of the changes to the legal framework of the European Union there has been a revised capacity for EU action that endorses criminal law mechanisms.
The two projects differ in focus: the first concentrates upon the experience of domestic UK law; the second contemplates the scope and repercussions of any EU dimension. There could of course be scope for allowing comparative analysis within either project.
Project 1: ‘Criminalising competition law - the UK experience’
This project will provide a critique of the UK experience in creating and enforcing competition law offences. It should highlight the scope of criminalisation and its relationship to administrative and leniency provisions, as well as adopting an analysis of the enforcement policy of key UK agencies.
- Pegge Scholarship for MSc Evolutionary and Adaptive Systems, University of Sussex, UK
- MSc Scholarships, Climate Change & Development / Policy, University of Sussex, Institute of Development Studies, UK
- Draper Undergraduate Scholarship, University of Sussex, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, School of Psychology, University of Sussex, UK
- HALCROW-CH2M HILL Scholarship, University of Sussex, UK
- MSc Climate Change Scholarships, University of Sussex, UK
- Sociology and Gender Studies PhD Studentship, University of Sussex, UK
- Chancellors International Scholarship, University of Sussex, UK
- James Henry Green Asia Scholarship, University of Sussex, UK
- Informatics Masters Scholarships, University of Sussex, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.
For more information, please visit official website: www.sussex.ac.uk.