KGSP Application (University Quota)
Period: Monday February 4, 2013 to Monday March 25, 2013
Contact: Tel. 82-052-217-1303 E-mail: email@example.com
Tel. 82-052-217-1305 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicable Scores in English Tests
- The test date on the certificates should be within 2 years of the deadline for the online application.
- Native English speakers are exempt from submitting a score. (U.S, Canada, U.K, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand)
- When English is used as an official language in an applicant’s country, in addition to other languages, applicants (check list of countries on the admissions web (http://adm-g.intl.unist.ac.kr) are exempt from submitting a score when they apply for admission but must submit a certificate stating that they have completed all of their university courses in English for exemption.
- Except for the above case, every foreign applicant must submit an official English test score that exceeds the graduate standard.
World Top 10 University by 2030
- VISION: World leading university to advance science and technology for the prosperity of humankind through convergence in science and technology and by cultivating creative global leaders who will usher in new scientific paradigms.
- GOALS: To be ranked within the top 20 science and engineering universities by 2020 and within the top 10 by 2030
- Education: To cultivate leaders that excel in science and technology
- Research: To cultivate Nobel Prize winners as well as globally recognized scholars by 2030 (Winners of Fields Medal, Lasker Award, Curie Award)
- STRATEGIES: Creativity, Interdisciplinary Studies, Globalization
- The Schools of Green Energy and Nano-Bio Chemistry were awarded the (World Class University) grant worth 20.9 billion krw by the government of Korea.
- Designated as a leading university for advanced technology of growth-generating and interdisciplinary industry (Advanced material/Nano).
- Opening of the Super Computing and IT Research Center
- Opening of Hans Scholer Stem Cell Research Center
- UNIST has been designated as a leading institution in the Global Science Business Belt Project along with DIGIST and Postech,
- Openning of the Institute of Basic Science (IBS)
- Site Lab 1 : Soft Matter Advanced Research Team, (UIUC Dr.Granick)
- Site Lab 2 : Low Carbon Material, (UT-Austin Dr. Ruoff)
- Lithium secondary cell electrodes Research Center (ITRC): 5 Billion Krw for 4years,
- Developing cathode material of secondary cell: 5.4 billion Krw in funding.
- Designated as research partner with Max-Plank-Gesellschaft (Germany)
- Secondary Cell Electrode Research Center was awarded the Technology Transfer Project by the National Science and Technology Committee.
- Ulsan Interdisciplinary research center for advanced materials with KIST-UNIST
- Develop the battery recharging technology for electricity vehicles within 1 minutes
- the 2012 Nobel laureate in Physiology or medicine (John B. Gurdon) visiting the UNIST Stem cell Research Center and gave a special lecture
- 100% English lectures for all the curriculum
- Strong support by government as the first incorporated National university in Korea
- Outstanding Faculty
- 100% of UNIST professors achieved great research performance in world class institutes while approximately 2/3 of the of Professors are graduates from world leading universities such as Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Oxford, UC-Berkeley.
- Two UNIST professors have been designated as future potential Nobel Laureates
- Two professors’s dissertations have been widely cited in a government sponsored contest.
- The number of professors at UNIST is expected to increase :
- 2013 (200 professors) -> 2017 (400 professors) -> 2020 (500 professors)
- The ratio of professors to students is expected to be 1/10.
UNIST Multidisciplinary Institute (UMI). 7 kinds of divisions for interdisciplinary research.
UNIST Central Research Facilities Center (UCRF)
UCRF offer researchers more than 80 different state-of-the-art equipment for advanced research, and operate and Nano Fabrication Center
Global Exchange Program
- Summer Program of Internship and Korean Experience (SPIKE)
- Academic and financial support is provided for qualified international students
- International Olympiad camp for foreign graduate students
- UNIST Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (U-SURF)
- UNIST Winter Undergraduate Research Fellowship (U-WURF)
- Overseas training and academic activities support programs
- Students Exchange programs
Global Research Collaboration
- Main Collaboration Research institute : Georgia Tech. Harvard, UC-Irvine, UT-Dallas, Univ. of Manchester, MPI for Molecular Medicine, IIT-Kanpur
- World Class Research Center
- Graphene Research Center: Dr. Konstantine Novoselov (2010 Nobel laureate in Physics)
- Stem Cell Research Center: Dr. Hans Schöler (Chief Researcher at the Max-Plank Institute)
- Olympus Bio-Med Imaging Center
- FEI Materials Imaging Center
- GEV(Green Engergy Vehicle) Center
Creativity Education Program (e-Education)
- LMS(learning Management System): Blackboard system based learning infrastructure
- M-Campus which is connected through Wi-Fi / Smart Phone / LMS
- All UNIST members (students, faculties, staff) can use smart education devices
Personality and Leadership development program for students
- Mentoring and Knowledge Sharing Project sponsored by the Korea Students Aid Foundation.
- All UNIST students are encourage to participate in volunteering programs
- Non-proctored examination system
- Library. UNIST Library can provide faculty, staff, and students with a variety of information and digital data bases such as E-theses, journals, audio-books, periodicals, especially E-education materials, and E-books, to give users online access to high quality educational resources.
- Dormitory. UNIST Dormitories are cozy apartment-style lodgings with separate heating and air conditioning. The dorms also play a role in developing global networks among students as the residents use English as a medium of communication.
- Sports Center. Sports Center has swimming pool, squash court, indoor golf training court and fitness center. UNIST offers all of these facilities for students as well as community.
- Center for Healthcare and Counseling. A welfare agency protects and promotes UNIST member’s health of mentality and body. We provide health screenings, immunizations and health assessments, including consultations on health, disease treatment and prevention activities, first aid, individual counseling on psychological testing, group counseling, mental health counseling, and workshops,
- UNIST Career Development Center. This center provides internship and leadership programs, career counselling, and employment preparation services in order to assist students.
Introduction of Ulsan city
Ulsan (officially the Ulsan Metropolitan City), is South Korea’s seventh largest metropolis with a population of over 1.1 million. It is located in the south-east of the country, neighboring Busan to the south and facing Gyeongju to the north and the Sea of Japan (East Sea) to the east.
Ulsan is the industrial powerhouse of South Korea, forming the heart of the Ulsan Industrial District, which is home to the world’s largest automobile assembly plant operated by the Hyundai Motor Company, the world’s largest shipyard operated by Hyundai Heavy Industries and the world’s third largest oil refinery, owned by SK Energy. In 2008, Ulsan had a GDP per capita of $63,817, the highest by far in South Korea.
Fellowship programs to nurture world class scientist and scholars
UNIST provides graduate students with RA/TA financial support that covers tuition fees and minimum living costs every month, for graduate students who take on the role of research or teaching assistant. (Selected students are not allowed to also hold other scholarships during the same period)
Nine Bridges Fellowship
- Who may apply: Excellent UNIST students in combined Master’s-Doctoral courses or the Doctoral courses
- Amount & Terms: Max.90,000,000krw over 3 years
Nobel & Star Fellowship
- Who may apply: Excellent UNIST students in the combined Master’s-Doctoral or the Doctoral courses whose research fields are related to nominated world class scholars’ laboratory
- Amount & Terms: Max.90,000,000krw over 3 years + expenses of dispatch to overseas lab Max.30,000,000krw
- Other benefits: Six month laboratory dispatch to other world class institutions.
- Research/Thesis guidance from both world class scholars and UNIST faculty members
Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST)
Address: UNIST-gil 50, Ulsan 689-798, Republic of Korea
For more information on scholarships, please read: Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) for International Graduate Students
- KGSP Graduate Scholarships, Kumoh National Institute of Technology, Korea
- KGSP Graduate Scholarships, Seoul National University of Science & Technology (SeoulTech), Korea
- KGSP Graduate Scholarships, Jeju National University, Korea
- KGSP Graduate Scholarships - Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)
- KGSP Graduate Scholarships, Kongju National University, Korea
- Master & Doctoral Scholarships, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST), Korea
- KGSP Graduate Scholarships, Kangwon National University, Korea
- KGSP Graduate Scholarships, Pusan National University, Korea
- KGSP Graduate Scholarships, University of Ulsan, Korea
- KGSP Graduate Scholarships, Sunchon National University, Korea