This two-year programme will provide the students with a strong fundamental and applied background in marine sciences, marine research and management skills. The first year of the master programme mainly addresses basic marine science disciplines such as Physical and Chemical Oceanography, Marine Ecology and Biodiversity, Marine Pollution and Ecotoxicology, Marine Microbiology, Marine Ecophysiology, Molecular Ecology of the Marine Environment, Tropical Coastal Biocomplexity, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Climatology and Climate Change, Introduction to GIS, Information Retrieval, Management and Presentation, Practical exercises, field training and seminars on development cooperation. While the second year of the master programme focuses on research and the scientific approach to management issues.
Core courses are: Scientific Reporting and Didactics, Data-management of the Marine Environment; Ecosystem Modelling, Bio-Statistics and Geographical Information Systems. Students also choose a number of specialized optional courses, e.g. Integrated Coastal Zone Management, Exploitation and Management of Coastal Resources, Recent Developments in Marine Biodiversity, Marine Optics and Remote Sensing, Law of the Sea, Environmental Economy. or an optional internship in one of the participating laboratories or institutes. During the second year, students conduct their master`s thesis research on a subject directly related to an ecological problem in their home country.
Thus ECOMAMA-graduates are trained
(1) to play a key role in high quality scientific research,
(2) as advisor in marine management,
(3) to be critical and communicative ecological marine scientists with management skills.
The two-year programme is open to holders of a four-year bachelor`s degree in Science; three-year bachelor`s degree in Science with relevant professional experience; Bachelor in Engineering; Bachelor in Veterinary studies; Bioengineering; Licentiate in Science or Industrial Engineering, or equivalent. A certificate of fluency in English is required.
Application for this scholarship is possible from 01/10/2009 until 01/02/2010
Period: September 2009 – September 2011
Number of VLIR-UOS Scholarships: 12
ECOMAMA – secretariat
Faculty of Science and Bio-Engineering
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
T +32 (0)2 629 34 02
F +32 (0)2 629 34 03
You can apply for this scholarship by clicking here.
- Master in Forestry Management, Marine Resources Management, Clean Energy, Water and Sanitation, or Climate Change
- Master and PhD Scholarship Marine Science and Policy Modelling, University of Maine, USA
- Erasmus Mundus MSc Scholarship in Ecohydrology, Europe
- International Courses Programme ICP PhD Scholarships 2010 Flemish university, Belgium
- PhD Scholarship in Ecological Parasitology, University of Antwerp, Belgium
- Master of Management in Hospitality Scholarship, Cornell-Nanyang Institute of Hospitality Management, Singapore
- Erasmus Mundus 2010 MSc Scholarships in Photonics, Europe
- PhD Scholarship in Marine Population Dynamics and Management, Technical University of Denmark
- VLIR-UOS Master Scholarships, Ghent University, Belgium
- Master Degree Scholarship by USAID, USA
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.