Within the Erasmus Mundus framework, the following five top European universities have now joined forces, pooling their individual expertise and experience in the fields of nanoscience and nanotechnology, to offer an exciting new master programme.
- The Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium): programme coordinator
- Chalmers Tekniska Högskola (Sweden)
- Delft University of Technology (the Netherlands)
- Leiden University (the Netherlands)
- Technische Universität Dresden (Germany)
The lectures offered by the consortium are embedded within various research centres such as IMEC in Leuven, the Casimir Research School in Delft/Leiden, the Max Planck Institute in Dresden, and the MC2 centre in Chalmers. This strong link between education and research ensures a contemporary programme at the cutting edge of state-of-the art research.
The master programme has a duration of two years (120 ECTS points). Erasmus Mundus students follow courses at K.U. Leuven and another university of the consortium. Courses are taught in English.
What is nanoscience and nanotechnology?
With Nanoscience and Nanotechnology we mean the study and manipulation of matter on the nanometer scale (one billionth of a meter, the scale of atoms and molecules). Important properties of materials, such as the electrical, optical, and mechanical properties, are determined by the way molecules and atoms assemble on the nanoscale into larger structures. Therefore nanotechnology will eventually provide us with the ability to design custom-made materials with any property we require. This new interdisciplinary area of science involves physics, (bio)chemistry, biology, medicine, and materials science.
One programme - two locations - two degrees
A unique educational concept
The EMM-nano is a two-year, English language degree programme (120 ECTS credits). It facilitates study at two separate participating universities where students spend one year per country. It is strongly multidisciplinary in that it permits students to receive a basic training in all the disciplines offered, one of which becomes the student’s area of specialization. The programme is embedded in ongoing research programmes at the participating Universities. At least one quarter of the curriculum is reserved for students’ own individual research projects. These are carried out in research environments of internationally renowned quality. Participation in the EMM-nano programme requires that the student chooses a combination of two of the participating universities in advance. Students are required to obtain at least 60 ECTS credits from each university. On completion of the two year cycle, successful students will be conferred with two Master degrees: one from each university attended.
Any combination of universities and thus degrees is possible 3. In addition, the EMM-nano consortium furnishes a degree-supplement providing a description of the nature and level of the programme followed.
Consortium and Degrees:
- Chalmers Tekniska Högskola (Sweden): Master of science (in engineering) in Nanoscale Science and Technology
- Technische Universiteit Delft and Universiteit Leiden (the Netherlands): Master of science in Nanoscience
- Technische Universität Dresden (Germany): Master of science in Molecular Bio-engineering
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium): Master of Nanosciences and Nanotechnology.
Applications will be considered from candidates in possession of:
- A top-level bachelor degree in Physics or in another field of science and engineering (such as Chemistry, Biochemistry, Electrical Engineering, Materials Science) but with a proven knowledge of Physics. A bachelor degree represents a minimum of 180 ECTS (applications will also be accepted from candidates who expect to receive a bachelor degree before the EMM-nano master degree programme commences)
- A GPA (Grade Point Average) of at least 75% of the scale maximum
- An IELTS (Academic version) overall band score of at least 6.0.
For non-Chinese applicants a TOEFL score of at least 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer based) will also be accepted
The admissions policy is intended to ensure equal opportunity of access to higher education for qualified EEA and non-EEA students. In general, candidate students, in possession of the above mentioned documents, will be individually assessed on the basis of their previous academic record, their personally written letter of motivation and their letters of reference. The availability of places will also be taken into account.
Application should contain:
- The completed application form (online + printed copy)
- A passport photograph
- Original certified copy of your diplomas and transcripts of academic records in duplicate
- Translation of your diploma and official transcripts
- English proficiency test (IELTS test or TOEFL test for Chinese applicants)
- Annex indicating your preferred trajectory www.eng.kuleuven.be/english/annex_aplicationform.pdf
- A letter of motivation
- 2 recommendation letters
All applications should be submitted to the following address:
International Admissions, Exchange and Scholarships Unit
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Deadline for submission of applications
Non-EEA students: 1 February
EEA students: 1 June
For additional information you may contact the International Office of the K.U.Leuven:
Tel: +32 16 32 40 20
Fax: +32 16 32 37 73
For more information click here.
- Master Scholarships in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships, International Master in Management of IT (IMMIT), Europe
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate Program (EMJD) 2010-2013, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus 2010 MSc Scholarships in Photonics, Europe
- Master Scholarships in European Literary Cultures, Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Master Scholarship, Erasmus Mundus MACLANDS, Europe
- European Master on Work, Organizational, and Personnel Psychology (WOP-P), Erasmus Mundus
- European Master on Software Engineering (EMSE), Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Master Scholarships, Color in Informatics and Media Technology (CIMET), Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus Master Scholarships, Mathematical Modelling in Engineering, Europe
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.
Am Misgana Birhanu from Ethiopia. I am graduated my B.A degree from Addis Ababa University College of commerce in 2007 . By right now am looking for scholarship in MBA.please would you help me to fulfill my dream.Dear you can contact me via:firstname.lastname@example.org.Thank you very much in advance for all your cooperation.GOD BLESS YOU.