The Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy is a graduate school of the National University of Singapore consistently ranked amongst the top 30 universities in the world by QS World University Rankings 2008. The School aims to educate, train and generate ideas amongst a new generation of globally minded policymakers and leaders from the public and private sectors. Our students are entrepreneurs, public sector officials, ambassadors, senators, editors, and aspiring leaders who are working on the ground to make a difference.
The School currently attracts over 300 outstanding candidates from more than 50 countries, including China, India, USA and South East Asia and Europe. These students come from diverse backgrounds in the public and private sector.
The School also attracts global luminaries including former Prime Minister of Britain, Tony Blair, President of World Bank Robert B. Zoellick, Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen amongst others.
Under the leadership of Dean Kishore Mahbubani, a world renowned public intellectual and former UN Ambassador from Singapore, the school has made a mark globally.
The LKY School is the first Asian School to be admitted into the prestigious Global Public Policy Network (GPPN) set up by Columbia University`s School of International & Public Affairs (SIPA), the London School of Economics & Political Science (LSE) and the Institut d`Etudes Politiques de Paris (Sciences Po). The school offers its students a unique opportunity to gain a double Masters degree with one of its GPPN partners. We also have a long standing partnership with the Harvard Kennedy School.
Master in Public Administration
The MPA programme is a one-year degree for mid-career professionals with more than five years of professional experience. The MPA is designed to enhance the effectiveness of mid-career professionals from the public, private and non-profit sectors in addressing complex, multidimensional policy issues. The MPA programme places great emphasis on management and decision-making.
Master in Public Policy
The MPP programme is a two-year degree for young professionals with 1-5 years of experience. Students learn the fundamental skills of public policy analysis from the disciplines of politics, economics, and public management. They also have the opportunity to deepen their understanding of a specific area by electing to focus their studies on one of five specializations:
- Development Studies;
- Economic Policy and Analysis;
- International Relations and Security Studies;
- Social and Environmental Policy; and
- Public Management and Governance.
Finally to provide an element of direct practical experience, MPP students undertake a public policy or management study (the Policy Analysis Exercise) for a client in the public, private or non-profit sector.
Double Degree Opportunities at Columbia University, LSE or Sciences Po
The MPP programme also offers the invaluable opportunity for qualifying students to obtain a double degree from the LKY School as well as from one of our partner institutes which include Columbia University`s School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA), London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), and Institut d`Etudes Politiques de Paris (Sciences Po). Students spend one year in Singapore and the second year in New York, London or Paris, and quite often the school provides full-funding for the students to study there.
Fully funded scholarships are available to outstanding candidates.
More information, along with programme application booklets, are available online at http://www.lkyspp.nus.edu.sg/.
The deadline for the MPP and MPA applications with scholarship is 31 January 2010 for intake in July 2010.
- Master Degree Scholarship by USAID, USA
- Master Scholarships in Public Policy, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore
- Master Fellowship in Comparative and International Disability Policy, Thailand
- Master in Public Management Scholarships, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore
- Temasek Foundation Water Leadership Programme (TFWLP), Singapore
- Master & Doctoral Scholarships, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, Japan
- Master Degree in Public Health, Academy for Educational Development, AED Indonesia, USA
- Hubert H Humphrey Non Degree Scholarship for Indonesian Professionals, USA
- Postdoctoral Position, Junior Fellowship Ontario Centre for Engineering and Public Policy (OCEPP), Canada
- Bachelor, Master and PhD Scholarships by USAID, USA
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.