The Department of Energy Science (DOES) is pleased to invite international students who have passion to conduct cutting edge research and make breakthroughs in energy sciences, proposing solid solutions for the global energy crisis.
- Ph.D. Program
- Combined Master’s-Doctorate Program
- Full tuition fee (approx. USD 6,000 every semester)
- Monthly subsidy of USD 600 on average (might vary from each advisor)
- Student Award for outstanding students
* Applicants need not apply for the scholarship separately, as the accepted students will automatically be granted with them on their entrance.
- Application Submission Deadline: Oct. 9-22 (Application Documents should arrive by the date.)
- Announcement of Successful Candidates: Nov. 21(Interior announcement will be made earlier.)
- Start of the 2013 Spring Semester: To be announced later
- Applicants for Combined Master’s-Doctorate Program should have earned a degree that is equivalent to a Korean bachelor’s degree or should be supposed to obtain a bachelor’s degree by Feb 2013
- Applicants for Ph.D. Program should have earned a degree that is equivalent to the Korean master’s degree or should be supposed to obtain a Master’s degree by Feb 2013
- Email the filled application forms to firstname.lastname@example.org first.
- Submit the required documents by Oct 22, and send the application fee. If you cannot post-send the documents by the date, you should tell me in advance.
- The list of required documents and the process of sending the fee is written below.
All the applicants are required to submit the following list of documents:
a. Application Form Papers:
- Download the forms here
- Fill out the forms with required information: application form, self-introduction, study plan, letter of consent, and letter of request.
- Preferred length for the two essays, “self-introduction” and “study plan”, is 3-4 pages.
- In the form “letter of consent”, you should fill out all the blanks.
- In “letter of request”, you need to fill out from “Date” to “Student ID Number” on the first half of the page.
- Print out the completed forms and attach a photo on the first page of the forms.
b. Updated CV
c. Notarized Photocopies of Degree Certificates:
- Bachelor’s degree certificate for applicants of the Combined Master’s-Doctorate Program
- Both bachelor’s and master’s for applicants of the Ph.D. Program
* If you haven’t been issued a degree certificate yet, whilst expecting one by August 2012, a provisional degree certificate or an authorized letter to prove the degree certificate issuance is required.
**The submission of a graduation/degree certificate and the transcript of the last semester need to be completed by August 24, 2012. The admission can be canceled if the student fails to submit the certificate by the deadline without justifiable reasons.
- Those of your undergraduate program for applicants of Combined Master’s-Doctorate Program
- Both undergraduate and graduate programs for applicants of Ph.D. Program
f. List of References and Recommendation Letter(s)
g. Photocopy of Your Valid Passport:
h. Birth Certificate
USD 80 (or 80,000 Korean won)
Send the fee to “Sungkyunkwan University” by money order.
Or one can pay in cash with the help of your family / friend / acquaintance staying in Korea.
The application fee will not be returned regardless of your application results.
The following documents are required for the relevant applicants :
a. Photocopy of Your Korean Alien Registration Card
If you are currently residing in Korea, you should submit the above document.
b. Certificate Letter of Governmental Scholarship
Above is required if you are a beneficiary of Korean governmental scholarship or Korean National Institute for International Education
c. If you are planning to bring a family member with you, you should also submit the official documents that can prove the relationship between you and the person as well as his/her passport.
d. Those who obtained their degree(s) in China need to submit one of the following two or else the admission can be cancelled:
- 1) Verification Report of China Higher Education Qualification Certificate, http://www.chsi.com.cn/xlrz/
- 2) Credentials Report http://www.cdgdc.edu.cn,
Notes and Instructions on Application Requirements
- All the documents need to be original or else the copies should be proved same as original by the head of the certification issuance authority.
- If the documents are not issued/written in either Korean or English, the translation that is approved by a notary public should be also attached.
- Submitted documents will not be returned regardless of your application results.
Where to Submit
Post-mail your application documents to the following address:
Ms. Hyunok Ryu
Department of Energy Science,
Room 83183, Sungkyunkwan University,
Suwon, 440-746, Korea
Housing and Living Costs
On-campus Student Dormitory
- Dormitory Fee and Meals.
USD 1,000 – 1,500 per semester (111 days), depending on room type and the number of people you are sharing a room with, two meals a day included.
- The detailed information and dormitory application guide will be provided separately for the successful candidates.
Off-campus Apartment Rent
- housing: USD 300 to 400 /month + key deposit money 3,000 to 5,000 USD (which will be returned to you when the contract is over)
- food: 200-300 USD/month (if you frequently go to restaurants, it can be higher)
- utilities: USD 100 /month (it depends on seasons, in winter the gas bill itself could reach more than 90 USD or the electricity bill can skyrocket in summer due to air-conditioning)
- others: vary depending on personal lifestyle
Contact Hyunok Ryu at her email, email@example.com or the office phone to +82-31-299-4273
*DOES recruits students for Integrated Master-Doctorate Program and Doctorate Program*
For more information, please visit official website: does.skku.ac.kr.
- KGSP Graduate Scholarships, Sung Kyun Kwan University, Korea
- MSc Scholarships in Renewable Energy Science, School for Renewable Energy Science (RES), Iceland
- Doctoral Scholarships in Energy Science, Graduate School of Energy Science, Kyoto University, Japan
- Master Degree Scholarship by USAID, USA
- ASEAN Millennium Leaders College Student Exchange Scholarships, Daejeon University, Korea
- Master & Doctoral Scholarships, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST), Korea
- Master in Forestry Management, Marine Resources Management, Clean Energy, Water and Sanitation, or Climate Change
- University of Twente Scholarship for Master, Netherlands
- Postdoctoral Fellowships in Computational Science or Engineering, Argonne National Laboratory, USA
- KGSP Graduate Scholarships - Korea University