The Erasmus Mundus programme “Computer Simulations for Science and Engineering” (COSSE) is a joint initiative of four European universities:
- KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
- Technical University of Berlin, Germany
- Technical University of Delft, the Netherlands
- Friedrich-Alexander University of Erlangen - Nürnberg, Germany
COSSE is a two-year master`s programme offering a double degree from two universities. The students enter one of the universities and continue the second year at one of the other institutions in another country. COSSE offers education of the highest international standard as well as a unique experience of meeting different European cultures, languages, climate and nature.
The EACEA (the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency) awards 7 to 10 category A scholarships and 6 to 8 category B scholarships per Erasmus Mundus Master`s programme.
Category A scholarships (non-EU member states) can be awarded to applicants from non-EU member states (but not to applicants from Norway, Liechtenstein or Iceland)
UNLESS they have resided in a EU member state or in Norway, Liechtenstein or Iceland, for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years (by 31 January of the year of enrollment).
The category A scholarship includes:
- Travel and installation costs: € 8000 for a 2 year programme
- Participation costs (including insurance coverage): € 4000/semester
- Monthly allowance: € 1000/month
Category B scholarships (EU-member states) can be awarded to applicants from EU-member states and to applicants from Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland
The category B scholarship includes:
- Travel and installation costs – only if the EM master`s programme includes a mobility period to a Third-Country partner: € 3000
- Participation costs (including insurance coverage): € 2000/semester
- Monthly allowance: € 500/month
Who can apply for an Erasmus Mundus scholarship (Action 1)?
Candidates who apply for an Erasmus Mundus Master Programme are at the same time considered for a scholarship nomination for this specific programme. The scholarships are awarded to the highest ranked candidates that fulfill the following scholarship conditions:
- The applicant has applied correctly, fulfilled the admission requirements and is nominated for a scholarship by the EM consortium.
- The applicant has not applied to more than three (3) Erasmus Mundus master`s programmes during one round of applications.
- The applicant should be able to spend his study period in at least two of the consortium partner countries. These two countries must be different from the country in which the applicant has obtained his/her last university degree; the mandatory mobility periods cannot be replaced by virtual mobility, neither can they take place in institutions outside the consortium.
- The applicant has not yet benefited from an EM master`s programme scholarship.
- The applicant should not benefit from another Community grant while pursuing their Erasmus Mundus masters studies.
- The applicant should be enrolled as a full-time student and commit himself to participate in the master`s programme in accordance with the terms defined by the consortium in the Student Agreement. Failure to do so could lead to the cancellation of the scholarship.
Deadlines and documents for COSSE Due to changed instructions from the European Commission, applicants from both category A and category B should apply during the same application period. (updated 24-08-2010)
Apply online from 15 September to 30 November, 2010
* Direct link to Erasmus Mundus Master`s programmes at studera.nu
All applicants must submit the required documents, regardless of prior applications. Last date for sending in your documents: 10 December 2010.
Required documents for COSSE
- A signed cover sheet (generated from the web-based application at studera.nu/english – Application code: COSSE)
- A correctly certified copy of your bachelor`s degree in original language and translated into English.
- A correctly certified copy of your transcript of records in original language and translated into English. All courses taken must be included. Please also provide the university course descriptions from your university study guide or the university website.
- Proof of your English proficiency.
- GRE test-scores, if available. (GRE General Test as well as GRE Subject Tests in Computer Science and Mathematics).
- A Curriculum vitae including details on your academic career.
- A letter of motivation including an indication of which specialization you wish to take and why, an indication of your preferred mobility track, a brief summary of your thesis work, stating the credits and grade.
- A copy of your passport or some other kind of identification in English.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors of the most recently attended higher institution.
Send your documents to the address on the cover sheet and keep an eye out for the link to the Erasmus Mundus Complementary Information form. It will be sent to `Your pages` at www.studera.nu/english when we have received your application documents. Your application is not complete without it.
For information on application and admission please contact:
Drottning Kristinas väg 6
100 44 Stockholm
+46 8 790 61 70
Contact detail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships, International Master in Management of IT (IMMIT), Europe
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate Program (EMJD) 2010-2013, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships 2010 in Robotics, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus Master Scholarships in Astronomy and Astrophysics, AstroMundus, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus 2010 MSc Scholarships in Photonics, Europe
- International Master in Service Engineering (IMSE), Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus Master Scholarships in Mathematics for Europeans, Europe
- European Master on Software Engineering (EMSE), Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus Master Scholarships, Mathematical Modelling in Engineering, Europe
- Master Scholarships, Color in Informatics and Media Technology (CIMET), Erasmus Mundus, Europe