Strathclyde is a leading technological University and the Department of Civil Engineering has unique postgraduate programmes on offer: the MSc in Environmental Entrepreneurship is the first in Europe; the MSc in Environmental Forensics is supported by the best-equipped environmental forensics labs in the UK; and the syllabus of the MSc in Geotechnics has been designed in consultation with industry to incorporate the most modern methods of analysis, using industry-standard software, such as PLAXIS, ReWard and GeoSlope.
The 2014 Commonwealth Games, the Clyde Waterfront Regeneration and the Sustainable Glasgow Programme make Glasgow a ‘happening place’ for the study of Civil Engineering and environmental-related topics. With its vibrant City Centre location and easy access to stunning Scottish countryside, the University of Strathclyde is the ideal place to undertake a one-year postgraduate degree.
Prestigious £1,000 International Excellence Award
This prestigious award is on offer to an outstanding-calibre international applicant (non-EU) for the following degrees:
- MSc Environmental Engineering
- MSc Environmental Entrepreneurship - first in Europe
- MSc Environmental Forensics - first in the UK
- MSc Environmental Health
- MSc Environmental Science
- MSc Sustainability & Environmental Studies
- MSc Geotechnics - in partnership with industry
- MSc Hydrogeology
- MRes Geo-Environmental Engineering
- MRes Infrastructure Adaptation for Climate Change
- MRes Integrated Pollution Prevention & Control (IPPC)
The successful recipient will benefit from a £1,000 award towards tuition fees. The deadline for Excellence Award applications is expected to be end of May 2011.
How to apply?
In order to be considered for this prestigious award, all you need to do is apply online for your chosen course, via the link provided in the individual web page for each degree. Please make sure your application is complete and includes evidence of previous degree qualification, two references (academic/employer) and proof of English language if applicable. In addition, please attach a one A4 page Supporting Statement covering these two points:
- Why do you want to take this postgraduate degree and how will the degree support your career goals?
- What makes you ‘excellent’ that justifies you getting one of these Excellence Awards?
The awards will be allocated based on quality, but applying early increases your chances of receiving one of these awards. Applicants with the equivalent to a 1st class honours UK degree (70% or above) will be prioritised, but applicants with the equivalent to a high 2.1 honours UK degree (65-69%) and/or with relevant professional experience may also be considered.
If an applicant is selected to receive an award, the award will only be given once the applicant has registered with the University and has commenced the degree. Allocation of an Excellence Award can only be given to candidates who have not already accepted another scholarship through the University.
The closing date for applications for the International Excellence Award is expected to be late May 2011.
If you have any questions or wish to email your one page statement directly, please contact Pippa Tawse: T: +44 (0)141 548 3170; E: firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the difference between an MSc and an MRes?
An MSc is 67% Taught (120 credits of taught classes) and 33% Project (worth 60 credits). While an MRes is 33% Taught (60 credits of taught classes) and 67% Project (worth 120 credits). On successful completion of the MRes research project it is possible for good quality researchers to transfer to the PhD Programme (i.e. the MRes would be equivalent to the first year of the PhD).
Our MRes are aimed principally at graduates in civil and environmental engineering, earth sciences, bioscience, chemistry and chemical engineering. However the programme has also been successfully completed by others from an unrelated background such as business.
- PhD Studentship in Dept of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University of Starthclyde, Glasgow, Scotland
- Faculty of Science International Scholarships, University of Strathclyde, UK
- Master, PhD & Postdoctoral in Civil Engineering, Kunsan National University, South Korea
- Master, PhD & Postdoctoral Positions in Structural Engineering, Kunsan National University, Korea
- Civil Engineering Undergraduate Scholarships, La Trobe University, Australia
- Master and PhD Scholarships, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Saitama University, Japan
- PhD Scholarship in Environmental Fluid Mechanics, University of Sydney, Australia
- 10 PhD Scholarships in Engineering, Swansea University, UK
- PhD Studentship in Fluid Mechanics, Imperial College London, UK
- SU2P Entrepreneurial Fellowships in Photonics, Stanford University, USA