The University of Leicester School of Museum Studies offers a vibrant and dynamic research environment for postgraduate study. The last Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) in December 2008 found that the School has the highest-proportion of world-leading rated research in any subject in any UK university. In its forty year history, the School of Museum Studies - the only department in the country solely devoted to the study of museums and galleries - has played an influential role in the re-invention of museum theory and practice.
By nurturing creative and critical professionals who have transformed organisations and professional practice throughout the world; by producing original, rigorous, and internationally influential research; and by working collaboratively on a range of pioneering initiatives, the School has made a significant and sustained contribution to the international cultural sector and the field of museum studies internationally.
We are delighted to offer eight scholarships for students joining us in October 2011 on the following distance learning masters degree programmes:
- 2 x Museum Studies (By Distance Learning) Scholarships
- 2 x Interpretation, Representation, and Heritage Scholarships
- 2 x Digital Heritage Scholarships
- 2 x Learning and Visitor Studies in Museums and Galleries Scholarships
Postgraduate Study in the School of Museum Studies
In recent years museums and galleries across the world have been subject to enormous change. The School of Museum Studies at Leicester has been a global focus for these exciting developments since it first opened more than forty years ago. We are committed to student-centred learning of the highest quality and to actively supporting learners from diverse cultural and academic backgrounds and our courses provide postgraduates with valuable opportunities to develop both their practical skills and their creative and critical thinking.
Applicants must have a good first degree. If English is not your first language then you will need to provide evidence of proficiency in written and spoken English. The normal minimum requirement for admission onto one of these programmes is an overall score of 6.5 on the British Council IELTS test or 600 on the TOEFL test.
These scholarships are available to both UK/EU and International (i.e., from outside the EU) applicants. The scholarships are available for distance learning study only and applicants must be able to commence their studies in October 2011.
Potential applicants wanting to first make an informal enquiry should contact the School’s Admissions Secretary, Christine Cheesman:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: + 44 (0)116 252 3963
Applying for postgraduate study at the University of Leicester is now easier than ever. You can submit your application online or by post, allowing you to choose the option that suits you best.
Applicants wishing to be considered for one of these scholarships must ensure that their completed application, together with all required supporting documentation, is received no later than 31 August 2011. Scholarship winners will be determined on the overall strength of the application and this will include a consideration of previous academic achievement, relevant experience, references, and provided personal statement.
About the School of Museum Studies
The School of Museum Studies has been a leading, internationally renowned centre for museum studies research and teaching since 1966. The School of Museum Studies works with museums, galleries and related cultural organisations internationally to develop creative practice through leading edge teaching and research. The last Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) in December 2008 found that the School has the highest-proportion of world-leading rated research in any subject in any UK university.
About the University
The University of Leicester is one of the UK’s leading universities, committed to international excellence through the creation of world changing research and high quality, inspirational teaching. It is consistently in the top 20 of all national tables and in 2010 was ranked in the top 2% of world universities by the QS World University Rankings.
Closing Date for Applications: 31 August 2011
For more information, please visit official website: www2.le.ac.uk.
- 4 MA Scholarships for Distance Learning Masters Students, University of Leicester, UK
- History of Art and Film Master Scholarships, University of Leicester, UK
- Lemkin Scholarship for Foreign Students, Armenian Genocide Museum Institute, Armenia
- Master Scholarships in English, University of Leicester, UK
- Fellowship Grant, Asian Civilisations Museum, Singapore
- Master in Humanities / Medical Humanities Bursaries, University of Leicester, UK
- MSc Engineering Part-Fee Scholarships, University of Leicester, UK
- Beasiswa Setara S2 Spesialis Keahlian Museum, KEMBUDPAR, Universitas Indonesia
- Master Scholarships in Archaeology or Ancient History, University of Leicester, UK
- FIFA Master Scholarship for FIFA/CIES International University Network Alumni, Switzerland
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.