This is the call for applications to the Erasmus Mundus Category A student (non-European) scholarships for MERIT – the European Master of Research on Information and Communication Technologies. It`s open from December 1st to 17:00 CET on January 11th 2010.
MERIT is a multitrack research-oriented master program based on a flexible curriculum that covers a wide area of knowledge in the field of Information and Communication Technologies. The institutions participating in the consortium, located in Spain, Belgium, Germany, Italy and Sweden belong to CLUSTER.
The Master`s Course covers Information and Communication Technologies in a broad sense, including fundamentals such as electromagnetism, signal processing, and information theory, and applications such as communications, remote sensing and image and voice processing. Half of the course credits are obtained in a second institution of the consortium and a double degree is awarded upon successful completion of the program. The language of instruction is English and the program includes local language courses up to 6 ECTS per academic year. Admission is restricted to 50 students.
This Erasmus Mundus Master`s programme has three 15-week semesters in which students take courses. An additional fourth semester is devoted to the completion of the Master`s Thesis. The program is research oriented, as thus concentrates on the development of research skills. Graduates of the Course may want to pursue careers in a research institution by completing a Ph.D., joining industrial R+D departments or perhaps starting a technology spin-off company. Therefore, strong emphasis is placed during the Master`s Course on the student`s personal work programme, which is focused on developing research skills. All students should have completed a Bachelor`s degree related to Electrical Engineering or related field.
The courses offered within MERIT can be classified according to the nature of the knowledge they provide as:
- Core Courses: They provide the fundamentals in electromagnetism, signal processing, communications and information theory required within each AoK.
- Concentration Courses: They are oriented towards the specialization tracks in speech and image processing, optical communications, wireless communications, digital communications, photonics, remote sensing, microwave circuits and antennas.
- Transversal Courses: They aim at:
(i) developing skills and competences inherent to research such as scientific communication, bibliographical research, technological assets management, project management and innovation skills;
(ii) learning the local language and acquiring a general knowledge of the local culture;
(iii) understanding the impact of technology on society and developing individual judgement and ethical responsibility.
The master is a 120 ECTS programme of which 30 ECTS correspond to the master thesis. A minimum of 66 ECTS are core and concentration topics; and a maximum of 24 ECTS are transversal subjects. It is advisable that the student completes 24 ECTS from core courses, 48 ECTS from concentration courses, and 18 ECTS from transversal courses.
Language of instruction is English: All subjects will be lectured in English, and teaching material from all courses is in English.
MERIT is a European 2-year post-graduate programme taught in English at the following institutions:
- Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Barcelona, Spain
- Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan (KTH), Stockholm, Sweden
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), formerly University of Karlsruhe, Germany
- Politecnico di Torino (PdT), Torino, Italy
- Université catholique de Louvain (UCL), Louvain, Belgium
Website link: www.meritmaster.org
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate Program (EMJD) 2010-2013, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships, International Master in Management of IT (IMMIT), Europe
- Erasmus Mundus 2010 MSc Scholarships in Photonics, Europe
- Master Scholarships in European Literary Cultures, Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Master Scholarships, Color in Informatics and Media Technology (CIMET), Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Master Scholarship, Erasmus Mundus MACLANDS, Europe
- Erasmus Mundus Master Scholarships in Data Mining and Knowledge Management (EM-DMKM), Europe
- European Master on Work, Organizational, and Personnel Psychology (WOP-P), Erasmus Mundus
- European Master on Software Engineering (EMSE), Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Master Scholarships in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Erasmus Mundus, Europe