The Matsumae International Foundation is a nongovernmental organization. Its Fund is solely based on donations from many Japanese people who have responded with goodwill to Dr. Shigeyoshi Matsumae’s call. While many donations have been kindly offered by enterprises and groups, most of the donors are individuals who are sympathetic with the Founder’s ideals, and maintain contributions to the Fund from their limited incomes.
Successful applicants are urged to seriously consider and understand the goodwill of those persons, and ensure that the provided fellowships are utilized effectively.
2012 FELLOWSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT APPLICABLE FOR THE PERIOD OF APRIL 2012 THROUGH MARCH 2013
DEADLINE: AUGUST 31, 2011
I. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents.
1. Applicants must hold a Ph.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by the Matsumae International Foundation as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
2. Applicants must be under 49 years old at the time of application.
3. Applicants must have sufficient conversational ability in English or Japanese to prevent insurmountable difficulties during their research activities in Japan.
4. Applicants should not have been in Japan in the past and/or in the present.
5. Applicants should have firm positions and professions in their home countries, and should return to their countries on completion of their fellowship stay by the Foundation.
6. Applicants must be of sound health and not physically handicapped in any way which would not prevent from carrying out research in Japan.
III. PERIOD & NUMBER OF FELLOWSHIPS
At the time of application, please indicate the length of your stay (between 3 to 6 months) from April 2012 to March 2013. The Foundation prefers long stays (such as six months) to shorter (such as three months). The number of fellowships given is about 20.
IV. HOST INSTITUTION IN JAPAN
Applicants are free to select host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities of private industry) in which to carry out their research. However, applicants are cautioned that they are obliged to obtain acceptance from such host institutions prior to submitting their applications. The Foundation cannot give counsel or advice to an applicant concerning his/her host institution in Japan.
V. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Applicants should obtain the current issue of the Fellowship Announcement from the Foundation. To obtain the announcement, write to MIF with name and address by postal mail, or by E-mail. Or, download the announcement from the webpage of the Foundation and print out the Application Form in PDF-format or MS Word file.
The Foundation cannot entertain requests for waivers of the eligibility requirements and other conditions, listed in the Fellowship Announcement, and will not respond to such requests.
Application must be submitted from the applicant’s home country. Under no circumstances will an application be accepted from a person already in Japan.
The Foundation never receives applications by Fax or E-Mail.
Applications must be received by the Foundation by August 31, 2011, at the latest.
VI. APPLICATION DOCUMENTS
All of the following documents (#1~#8) - A4 in size - should be submitted on one occasion by the applicant to the Foundation.
All documents must be type-written in English. Documents written in any language other than English are not accepted.
Submitted applications which do not contain all of the required documents will be automatically rejected.
The Foundation will not be responsible for costs incurred in submitting an application, and reserves the right to request additional documents if necessary.
All documents received become the property of the Foundation, and will not be returned.
After receiving application documents, the Foundation will send the acknowledgement to applicants. The Foundation will not respond to individual inquiry concerning the status/arrival of application documents.
#1. Application Form (Applicants should use the original Form provided by the Foundation, or an exact photocopy. A self-made Form is not accepted.)
The form is made of two pages. Applicant should attach photograph taken within three months. Applicants should ensure that every item in the application form, without exception, is properly filled in the spaces provided. (Please complete all questions.) Applicants should sign and date in the form.
#2. The Research Project
Applicant should describe this document by oneself.
This should include detailed information on the purpose, methodology, content of the research, and the schedule of the project. The research project must be discussed in detail with the host scientist, and the planned content must be consistent with the research facilities at the host institution.
#3. Complete List of Publications
This should include full details of the publication: when and where published, co-authors’ names (where applicable), size and number of pages, etc. Please indicate in red the title of any publications on the list which are submitted as requested in item “#4″.
#4. Reprint(s) of what the applicant considers to be his/her most important publication(s)
If the reprint(s) is unavailable in English, please attach a brief abstract (summary) in English written by the applicant.
#5. Personal History (Curriculum Vitae)
#6. A letter of recommendation from the applicant’s employer and/or supervisor (e.g. Faculty Dean) testifying to academic ability and achievements, and confirming the availability of study leave covering the grant period.
#7. A certified copy of the applicant’s academic certificates (degrees of Ph.D., Master, Bachelor) issued by the university concerned. (These documents should be in English. If the certificate(s) is unavailable in English, please attach the translation in English.)
#8. An invitation letter with signature by the host scientist confirming;
the period of stay, the research project, the availability of research facilities/materials, and the arrangement of lodging accommodation, under MIF Fellowship Program. (The format is free. E-mail is not accepted.)
VII. SCREENING & NOTIFICATION OF RESULT OF AN APPLICATION
1. Applications are examined by the Screening Committee of the Foundation on the basis of academic value and the degree or perfection of the research projects.
2. The results will be sent directly to the applicants after the deadline of application, by the end of December, 2011.
3. The Foundation will send a Grant Letter to successful applicants.
4. The Foundation does not issue announcements concerning the screening progress, nor will the Foundation respond to inquiries concerning the status of such applications.
5. When the decisions of the Screening Committee are announced, the Foundation will neither announce the reasons for the decision nor respond to individual inquiry concerning results.
VIII. FELLOWSHIP DETAILS
The following financial support is provided to successful applicants. No support to his/her family or dependents is available.
Fellowships are provided for successful applicants only, and intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan. Under no circumstances is any part of the fellowships transferable to any other persons or other items.
Stipend for research and stay, ¥240,000 yen is provided monthly for the purpose of payment of tuition, expenses for research materials, lodging, meals, transportation, etc.
Insurance, Overseas Travel Accident/Sickness Insurance: (1) Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment, and (2) Sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
Air transportation, An economy-class round-trip air ticket between the international airport nearest to successful applicant’s home residence and Tokyo via most direct routing is provided. The provided air ticket cannot be converted to cash, nor can cash be provided by the Foundation for purchase of an air ticket by any individual or organization other than the Foundation.
Lump sum on arrival, ¥100,000 yen is provided to assist with local travel expenses on arrival, the initial cost of lodging, etc.
IX. SOME NOTICES CONCERNING FELLOWSHIP CONDITION
1. The fellowship grant is restricted to the period indicated in the Grant Letter. Extension/reduction of the granted period is not allowed.
2. The invitation by the Foundation is limited only to the successful applicant specified in the Grant Letter. The Foundation neither does concern successful applicant’s family/dependents nor provides any assistance (entry procedure of Japan, flight arrangement, etc.) for them.
3. During the fellowship stay in Japan by the Foundation, any temporary leave of Japan is not allowed, even though it is a single day.
X. WITHDRAWAL OF FELLOWSHIP
1. In the event that any of the offenses described below is ascertained, the Matsumae International Foundation reserves the right to terminate its grant, rescind the fellowship status of the offender, and immediately inform all concerned parties (immigration authorities, host institution, etc.) of the situation.
The recipient should return all the fellowship grants from the Foundation.
(1) Facts which are inconsistent with the rules and regulations set forth in the Fellowship announcement, the grant letter, and/or related documents.
(2) False statements or unilateral modification of statements in application forms, the grant letter, and/or related documents.
(3) Failure of the recipient to notify the Foundation of past, current or anticipated grants or benefits from other institutions which duplicate in whole or in part those of the Matsumae International Foundation.
2. Should the recipient be refused by his/her host scientist after his/her arrival in Japan due to level of required capability and/or behaviors in research activities in Japan, the Fellowship will be immediately rescinded.
EXAMPLES of WITHDRAWAL:
(1) Should the recipient fail to notify the Foundation of past stay and study in Japan under a fellowship grant from another institution, and the Foundation learns of that fact after his/her arrival in Japan, the Fellowship will be immediately rescinded.
(2) Should the recipient fail to notify the Foundation that he/she has accepted a grant from another institution, and the Foundation learns of the fact after his/her arrival in Japan, the Fellowship will be immediately rescinded.
(3) In the event that the recipient notifies the Foundation of his/her acceptance of a grant from another institution, the Foundation will carefully examine the content of that grant and reserves the right to withdraw its Fellowship.
(4) Should the recipient the host institution, the Fellowship will be rescinded.
(5) Should the recipient change the period of stay in Japan, the Fellowship will be rescinded.
SERVICES FOR FELLOWS
To promote deeper understanding of Japan, the Matsumae International Foundation organizes a Study Tour during the invitation period in Japan.
Each year, the Foundation issues a “Research Report” containing summaries of research activities or results which are kindly submitted by the fellows.
In order to keep in touch with fellows after their return home, the Foundation issues a periodic “Newsletter” and an annual “Fellowship Directory”
Please address all correspondence to:
THE MATSUMAE INTERNATIONAL FOUNDATION
4-14-46, Kamiogi, Suginami-ku, Tokyo, 167-0043 JAPAN
E-mail : email@example.com
For more information, please visit official website: www.mars.dti.ne.jp.
- PhD Fellowships, Werner Siemens Foundation, Switzerland
- Master Scholarships in Food Technology, Wageningen University, Netherlands
- Inpex Scholarship Foundation for Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM), Japan
- Schlumberger Foundation 2010 Faculty for the Future Fellowships
- Master Scholarships by The OKAZAKI KAHEITA International Scholarship Foundation, Japan
- Ford Foundation International Fellowships Program 2010
- Hakuho Japanese Language Research Fellowship, Japan
- Doctoral Fellowship Program in Law and Social Science by American Bar Foundation, USA
- Sato International Scholarship Foundation (SISF), Japan
- Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. Research Fellowships, John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, USA