The NRF (Clean Energy) PhD Scholarships offer support for up to four years of academic pursuit, leading to a PhD in related disciplines such as Electrical Engineering, Materials Science or Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Environmental Science or Engineering, Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. All research topics should be in the following areas related to Clean Energy, with focus on solar:
- Fuel cells
- Energy efficiency in green buildings
- Smart grid technology
- Carbon capture & utilization
- Other renewable energies
Scholars must obtain CEPO’s agreement before embarking on a particular research area and project, so as to be in line with CEPO’s technology roadmap. For local PhD scholarships, CEPO will work with the universities to ensure that the candidate has a specific research project and supervisor identified before the award.
The scholarships are tenable at NUS, NTU or overseas universities renowned in clean energy such as:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA
- University of California at Berkeley, USA
- Stanford University, USA
- Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), USA
- Loughborough University, UK
- Sandia National Labs, USA
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland
- TU Munich, Germany
- Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems, Germany
- University of New South Wales (UNSW), Australia
Please note that this list is non-exhaustive, but all foreign universities must be recognized by CEPO.
- Local PhD: All nationalities. Foreigners who take up the scholarship are expected to become Singapore PRs within 2 years of completion of studies.
- Overseas PhD: Singapore Citizens.
- A relevant Bachelor’s Degree with Honours (at least 2nd Class Upper) or its equivalent.
- Good GRE test score preferred.
- Good TOEFL score for applicants whose mother tongue is not English.
- Full tuition fees
- Monthly subsistence allowance**
- Other allowances including:
- Annual Book allowance
- Computer allowance
- Conference allowance
- Thesis allowance
- Travel allowance*
- Warm clothing allowance*
- Settling-in allowance *
* For overseas PhD
** Monthly allowance of S$3,300/month for local PhD study
^ All rates/allowances are subject to adjustments by CEPO from time to time
Upon completion of their studies, candidates will be bonded to work in Singapore (in the clean energy area) for a period of 3 years for local PhDs or 4 years for overseas PhDs. Scholars will be allowed the flexibility to choose the organization that they work for when they near the end of their study.
Application for Admission to Universities
Scholars are expected to gain entrance to the various overseas and local universities on their own merits, before they apply for the scholarship.
Applications are to be submitted using the attached application form. For further information, please contact us at Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel: 6516 6937
Closing Date for Application
Applications are open throughout the year. For admission for the Academic Year starting in August 2011, the closing date for applications is 28 February 2011.
- Master in Forestry Management, Marine Resources Management, Clean Energy, Water and Sanitation, or Climate Change
- PhD Positions in Value-addition of Glycerol into Bio-hydrogen, Canada
- Dr Goh Keng Swee (GKS) Scholarship for Undergraduate Students, Singapore
- Master and PhD Scholarships, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Saudi Arabia
- Master Degree Scholarship by USAID, USA
- PhD Scholarships in Membrane Science, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore
- The Panasonic Trust Fellowships 2010, UK
- PhD in Sustainable Urban Energy Futures, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- PhD Scholarships, Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund, India
- Diploma, Bachelor & Master Scholarships, Management Development Institute of Singapore
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.