Panasonic Corporation (hereinafter “Panasonic”) was established in 1918 when Konosuke Matsushita, the founder, started a small workshop to make an improved attachment plug. Today, Panasonic Group is the most comprehensive electrical and electronic manufacturer in the world. Throughout its corporate history, we at Panasonic have believed that our mission as a manufacturer is to devote ourselves to the progress and development of society and the well-being of people, thereby contributing to the growth of human civilization. Traditionally, Panasonic has a strong conviction that the development of human resources is the most important issue that management has to deal with.
The Panasonic Scholarship Program was established in 1998 in commemoration of the company’s 80th anniversary as a way for the company to express its appreciation to society. Its aim is to provide scholarship opportunities to privately financed students from Asian countries who wish to pursue a master’s course in Japan, to offer financial assistance to foster highly educated experts who can contribute to the development of their countries in the 21st century, and to promote mutual friendship between their home countries and Japan.
A privately financed student from Indonesia, who wishes to pursue a master’s course in Japan, should meet the following requirements:
Applicants must be citizens of Indonesia
- Educational Background etc:
Applicants must be graduates or pending graduates of universities and have a distinguished academic record and must have completed 16 years of school education or have been accepted as eligible for enrollment at the targeted graduate schools. However, applicants must have completed their bachelor degrees no more than 4 years prior to the date of their arrival in Japan. (with age less than 26 years old in March 2013).
Applicants must major in any one of the science and technology disciplines. (Mathematics, Natural Science, Engineering, Bio-technology, Agricultural, and IT (Information Technology)
Note: This excludes medical science, pharmacology and dentistry
- Japanese Language Proficiency:
Applicants must have adequate proficiency and knowledge in the Japanese language not only for studying at master’s level but also for understanding Japanese culture.
- Health Conditions:
Applicants must be medically fit and must be strongly motivated to study in Japan.
- Applicants must be interested in and have the desire to contribute to the development of Indonesia and to promote friendship between Indonesia and Japan. .
- o Applicants must obtain a study visa and arrive in Japan by end of March 2013 to attend the award ceremony to be held at Panasonic Headquarters at the beginning of April 2013.
- Applicants who are receiving or will receive other scholarships including Japanese Government Scholarships are not eligible for the Panasonic Scholarship.
- Applicants who are already enrolled at graduate schools in Japan at the time of application are not eligible for the Panasonic Scholarship.
Number of students to be accepted
From all applicants, in preliminary stage (phase I) it will be only top 100 candidates enter to next stage. In phase II, there will be only 12 best candidates as finalist. In final stage, through interview, group discussion and other process, the 3 most qualified finalist will be selected to be Panasonic Scholarship Nominees.
Duration of Panasonic Scholarship
Panasonic Scholarship will be provided for three years from April 2011 to March 2014, which covers
- Year One — Enrollment as research students in universities in Japan and Japanese-language training in Japanese-language institutes.
- Year Two & Three — Register and complete master’s course in Japan. The entire period shall not exceed three years in any circumstances.
The entire period shall not exceed three years in any circumstances. The scholarship will be terminated if a scholarship recipient fails to gain admission to master course in Japan within one year after arrival in Japan (end March, 2011).
Contents of Panasonic Scholarship
- Assistance Before Arrival in Japan
Including Application Fee and Entrance Fee Assistance for research student and Air Ticket to Japan will provide before leaving for Japan (details will be forwarded to nominated students later by PSO Indonesia)
- Scholarship After Arrival in Japan
The scholarship to be provided after arrival in Japan is described below. The duration of the scholarship is limited 3 years in accordance with the standard education periods as follows:a maximum of 1 year for a research student and 2 years for a master’s course at graduate school. However, the duration of the scholarship is to be shortened accordingly in case where the student’s course of study is less than the standard education period. *Panasonic highly recommends Panasonic Scholarship students (incl. nominated students) to be a research student for 1 (one) year in order for them to improve Japanese proficiency, to contact with Japanese culture and to set the basic direction of future research theme.
- Research Student of Graduate School
Basic Scholarship : ¥150,000 per month
Tuition Assistance : Actual Amount (a maximum of ¥200,000 to be paid each half year)
- Master’s Course of Graduate School
In the case where students are able to take master’s courses within one year after arrival in Japan, the scholarship to be paid is as set out below.
Basic Scholarship : ¥180,000 per month
Entrance Fee Assistance : Actual Amount (a maximum of ¥250,000 to be paid)
Tuition Assistance : Actual Amount (a maximum of ¥250,000 to be paid per each half year)
Selection & notification
March 17 , 2012 : Deadline for e-Application Submission
April 25 –30 , 2012 : The First Screening (By documents)
May 4 – 11 , 2012 : The Second Screening
June 11 –12 , 2012 : Final Selection (Interview)
June 12 , 2012 : Notification of the Result
Indonesia Panasonic Office will select Panasonic Scholarship candidates in three phases, as follow :
- PHASE I.
All candidates must apply through (and only by) electronics application. This first selection will seek a record of the applicants overall data including: biographical information, academic records (GPA), language capabilities, and readiness to enroll master degree program in Japan. The e-application submission will be closed on MARCH 17th, 2012 . In Phase I, 100 (hundreds) applicants will be selected as semifinalist and their names will be announced in MARCH 22th 2012 . via e-mail and website.
- PHASE II.
Semifinalists will be notified and receive an official application form through login and download from Panasonic Scholarship Indonesia website (user and password will deliver only to 100 (hundreds) Semifinalist later.
The form will require detailed biographical data, academic report (transcript), an essay of master research proposal, personal recommendations, and Professor acceptance. The semifinalist must submit official application form (item 1 until 5) as mentioned below by mail with deadline on APRIL 30th, 2012.Documents to be submitted in Phase II :
- Application form (prescribed form No.1)
- A letter of recommendation from the dean of the university the applicants graduated from (prescribed form No.2)
- Study and research plan in Japan (prescribed form No.3)
- Original university transcript (or legalized), photocopy only without legalized unacceptable.
- A certified copy of the applicant’s degree
The committee will selects 12 (twelve) finalists based on documents screening, and mini-thesis or research proposal evaluation.
- PHASE III.
On June 11th – 12th, 2012 [tentative] all finalists will be invited to attend the Final Selection Stage. The Committee composed of Panasonic Gobel Group of Companies top management, distinguished universities professors, Panasonic Scholarship Inc. Japan, and Training & Recruitment Consultants will interview and evaluate each finalist. The 3 (three) most qualified finalists will be selected to be Panasonic Scholarship Nominees.
Requirements for Panasonic Scholarship Student (Nominated)
1. Enrollment in Graduate School and Duration of Research
Panasonic searches a student with passion for studying at graduate school for 3 (three) years. In concrete, Panasonic searches those who;
- obtain an informal consent from the academic adviser and finish application for enrollment as a research student within 2012,
- enroll in graduate school as a research student in April 2013,
- then enroll in a master’s course in April 2014 and
- complete a mater’s degree in March 2016.
2. Japanese Language Proficiency Test
Panasonic Scholarship students (incl. nominated students) are required to obtain a level N4 or above for Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) conducted in Indonesia at the beginning of December 2012. In line with this, Panasonic recommends a student who has never learned Japanese to start a preparation for Japanese learning before attending the final interview.
Besides, it is said that a student enrolling in a master’s course should reach a certain level N1 for JLPT in order for them to successfully study and research at graduate school.
Items to be noted
1. Procedures Before/After Arrival in Japan
1) Acquisition of Passport
Panasonic Scholarship students (incl. nominated students) must compile responsibly all the necessary documents, follow the required procedures and preparations for getting a passport and bear expenses related.
2) Acquisition of Student Visa
Panasonic Scholarship students (incl. nominated students) must compile responsibly all the necessary documents, follow the required procedures and preparations for getting a student visa and bear expenses related.
3) Acquisition of Admission Approval from Graduate School
Panasonic Scholarship students (incl. nominated students) must compile responsibly all the necessary documents follow the required procedures and preparations for enrolling as a research student such as getting an admission approval from a graduate school.
4) Reservation of Accommodation
Panasonic Scholarship students (incl. nominated students) must compile responsibly all the necessary documents, follow the required procedures and preparations for reserving an accommodation and bear expenses related.
5) Application for Alien Registration
Panasonic Scholarship students (incl. nominated students) must compile responsibly all the necessary documents, follow the required procedures and preparations for applying for the alien registration and bear expenses related.
6) Subscription to Medical Insurance
Panasonic Scholarship students (incl. nominated students) must compile responsibly all the necessary documents, follow the required procedures and preparations for subscribing to the National Health Insurance and bear expenses related.
Panasonic Scholarship students (incl. Nominated students) are recommended to refer to the Student Guide to Japan issued by Japan Student Services Organization on all initial expenses incurred after arrival in Japan.
The first scholarship payment will be made in April 2013 after the award ceremony.
2. Panasonic Scholarship students (incl. nominated students) are required to observe Panasonic Scholarship’s Rules and follow instructions given by the Panasonic Scholarship Office of Japan/Indonesia and to submit the necessary documents such as a monthly report, Japanese language progress report, Notice of Informal Consent issued by your target professor and Notice of Admission etc. without delay.
3. Panasonic reserves the right to suspend temporarily or terminate immediately the scholarship if Panasonic finds Panasonic Scholarship students (incl. nominated students) to be in violation of the scholarship conditions.
Panasonic also reserves the right to claim a partial or full refund of the scholarship, entrance fee assistance and tuition fee assistance amount previously-provided when a serious violation of the principles and objectives of the Panasonic Scholarship is found.
4. The documents submitted shall not be returned under any circumstances
5. Should any points be unclear to you, please contact the Panasonic Scholarship Office of Indonesia.
List of University
Yokohama National University
79-1 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 240-8501
2-1-1 Katahira, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi, Miyagi 980-8577
University of Tsukuba
1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki 305-8577
The University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8654
Tokyo Institute of Technology
2-12-1 Okayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8550
Tokyo University of Fisheries
4-5-7 Konan, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8477
Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
3-8-1 Harumi-cho, Fuchu-shi, Tokyo 183-8538
Toyohashi University of Technology
1-1 Hibarigaoka, Tenpaku-cho, Toyohashi-shi, Aichi 441-8580
3190 Gofuku, Toyama-shi, Toyama 930-8555
The University of Electro-Communications
1-5-1 Chofugaoka, Chofu-shi, Tokyo 182-8585
255 Shimookubo, Urawa-shi, Saitama, 343-8540
Osaka University 1-1 Yamadaoka, Suita-shi, Osaka 565-0871
1-1-1 Naka Tsushima, Okayama-shi, Okayama 700-8530
Nara Institute of Science and Technology
8916-5 Takayama-cho, Ikoma-shi, Nara 630-0101
Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi 464-8601
Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi 464-8601
Nagoya Institute of Technology
Gokiso-cho, Sowa-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi 466-8555
1515 Kamihama-cho, Tsu-shi, Mie 514-8507
1-1 Rokkodai-cho, Nada-ku, Kobe-shi, Hyogo 657-8501
Yoshida-hommach, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto 606-8501
Kyoto Institute of Technology
Matsugasaki-hashigami-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto 602-0841
6-10-1 Hakozaki, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka 812-8581
2-1-1 Bunkyo, Mito-shi, Ibaraki 310-8512
Nishi 5-chome, Kita 8-jo, Kita-ku, Sapporo-shi, Hokkaido 060-0808
1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 263-8522
1-3-2 Kagamiyama, Higashi Hiroshima, Hiroshima 739-8511
For more information, please visit official website: www.panasonicscholarship.com.
- Panasonic Scholarship 2010 for Indonesian Students, Japan
- The Panasonic Trust Fellowships 2010, UK
- Travel Grant for Starting Scholars from Overseas, Japan Sociological Society
- Summer School Utrecht Scholarship, Indonesian Young Leaders, Indonesian Ministry of Religious Affairs, Leiden University, Netherlands
- Monbukagakusho Scholarships, Student Research Program, Japan
- Japan Scholarships | Beasiswa Jepang
- Fulbright Senior Research Program, American Indonesian Exchange Foundation, USA
- Study in The Netherlands, StuNed Scholarships for Students from Indonesia
- Non Degree Monbukagakusho Scholarship in Japanese Studies Program, Japan
- Fulbright Dikti Senior Research Program, American Indonesian Exchange Foundation, USA
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.