Division of Cardiovascular Physiology (Prof. Dr. M. Hecker)
The Institute of Physiology and Pathophysiology of Heidelberg University, Division of Cardiovascular Physiology (Prof. Dr. Markus Hecker) offers a PhD position to work on zyxin control of stretch-induced arterial remodelling.
The focal adhesion molecule zyxin specifically translocates to the nucleus of vascular cells in response to stretch or hypertension. In the nucleus, the protein orchestrates expression of a majority of stretch-/pressure-induced genes, among which mRNAs encoding for matrix proteins and ECM modifying enzymes are prominent. Aged zyxin-deficient mice show a reorientation of the arterial smooth muscle cells (SMCs) in response to hypertension, associated with a more pronounced pressure-induced passive distension and a failure to up-regulate blood pressure. It appears that adult zyxin-deficient mice develop a severe deficit in arterial contractility due to a marked alteration in matrix composition and that the stretch-sensitive transcription factor zyxin has a major impact on the control of vascular SMC phenotype. The project will investigate the role of zyxin-controlled ECM proteins and matrix-modifying enzymes in pressure-induced vascular remodeling both in vitro and in vivo.
- Cattaruzza M et al., Hypertension. 2004;43(4):726-30.
- Wójtowicz A et al., Circ Res. 2010;107(7):898-902.
- Babu SS et al., Sci Signal. 2012;5(254):ra91.
- BioInterfaces International Graduate School, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany
- PhD Positions, Helmholtz International Research School Molecular Neurobiology, Germany
- PhD Studentship in Muscle Physiology, Uppsala University, Sweden
- PhD Scholarships in Interdisciplinary Research, Ruhr-University Research School, Germany
- PhD Studentship in Vascular Medicine, University of Nottingham, UK
- PhD Position, Max Planck Institute of Molecular Physiology, Germany
- PhD Positions in Organic Chemistry, University of Paderborn, Germany
- CNIC International Incoming Fellowships for Young Group Leaders, Spain
- Germany Scholarships | Beasiswa Jerman
- Kurt Hansen Scholarships, Bayer Foundations, Germany
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.
For more information, please visit official website: www.medizinische-fakultaet-hd.uni-heidelberg.de.