ICFO, in collaboration with the Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya - BarcelonaTech (UPC), is offering a predoctoral fellowship to well-qualified graduate students who wish to enhance his/her scientific career in a friendly and stimulating environment, as well as to obtain a doctoral degree in any of the photonics-related research fields. ICFO PhD students are enrolled in the PhD Program in Photonics that targets the most advanced topics in optical sciences and technologies, and have access to cutting-edge experimental infrastructures, specialized seminars, tailor-made training programs and active mentoring by ICFO Group Leaders. Entrepreneurship, commercialization techniques and seminars in the area of professional and personal development are also an integral part of the curricula.
The successful candidate will be joining the recently established Theoretical Nanophotonics research group, led by Prof. Javier Garcia de Abajo. The group has experience in theoretical modeling in the areas of plasmonics, nanophotonics, and electron-microscopy spectroscopies. Also, the group routinely produces state-of-the-art theory to explain and design new experiments and phenomena, in particular in the fields of graphene photonics, plasmon-based metamaterials, interaction of free electrons with matter, and quantum many-body physics associated with the interaction of light with nanostructured environments.
The candidate will be expected to collaborate in creative and ambitious projects in these areas. The projects are performed in close collaboration with leading international experimental groups, offering the candidate the opportunity to visit other laboratories and be exposed to state-of-the-art experimental efforts.
Requirements & Conditions
Candidates must hold an internationally recognized master degree (or evidence of its completion in the near future), preferably in physics. The candidate should have a proven track record of excellence in academics and research. Experience in nanophotonics, condensed-matter physics, and quantum physics is greatly appreciated.
Selection of ICFO-UPC PhD Fellows is based on merit and potential, measured in terms of the academic record and personal achievements. Proactivity, participation in community activities, and capacity for team-work are also taken into account.
Persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. No restrictions of citizenship or gender apply to the ICFO-UPC Fellowships.
The fellowships are offered for periods of one year, renewable for a total of four years. The annual renewal of the ICFO-UPC PhD fellowships is conditional on satisfactory performance in research and teaching activities, as well as on positive evaluation by the thesis director and the ICFO Board.
Suitable candidates are requested to submit:
- A presentation letter with declaration of research interests,
- A Curriculum Vitae, including a full address, a contact phone number and e-mail address and a copy of the passport,
- A scanned copy of your University academic transcripts in English, Catalan or Spanish,
- A scanned copy of the degree, if available at the time of application,
- The contact e-mail of two potential referees.
- If available, a scanned copy of standardized GRE test results. Note that submission of GRE test results is optional, but they can be particularly helpful for evaluating candidates with degrees obtained outside the European Higher Education Area.
Please note that candidates should be willing to be contacted by phone during the entire selection process.
Candidates may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for informal enquiries regarding the application, as well as address scientific enquiries to Prof Javier Garcia de Abajo at Javier.GarciaDeAbajo@icfo.eu.
The call will remain open until August 31, 2013, or until suitable candidates are identified.
For more information, please visit official website: jobs.icfo.eu.
- PhD in Theoretical Quantum Nanophotonics, Institute of Photonic Sciences ICFO, Spain
- Master Scholarships in Photonics Engineering, Nanophotonics and Biophotonics (EUROPHOTONICS)
- PhD Project on Spatial Sustainability and Climate Change, Institute of Environmental Science and Technology, Spain
- PhD Studentship in Marine Palaeoclimatology, Institute of Environmental Science and Technology, Spain
- Spain Scholarships | Beasiswa Spanyol
- Fully Funded Research Assistants, IMDEA Networks, Spain
- International Summer Research Program 2010 in Nanotechnology, The Nanosystems Initiative Munich (NIM), Germany
- MSc Scholarships in Geospatial Technologies and Geoinformatics, University of Muenster, Germany
- PhD Scholarships, Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Denmark
- National Institute for Physiological Sciences (NIPS) Internship, Japan
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.