The Department of Econometrics and Operations Research of the Tilburg School of Economics and Management at Tilburg University is offering the following position:
PhD position for the NWO project:
Solving Quadratic Assignment Problems with Algebraic Symmetry via Semidefinite Programming
The quadratic assignment problem (QAP) is well known in operations research (mathematical programming) and arises from applications as diverse as electronic circuit testing and hospital facility location. It is also famously hard to solve QAP instances, even ones of moderate size. In this project we will revisit the possibility of solving QAP problems using semidefinite programming in a branch and bound setting. In particular, we will use modern techniques from algebraic combinatorics to exploit algebraic structures in the data where present.
The ideal candidate:
- holds a Master, or equivalent degree in (applied) mathematics, operations research, or computer science, and has some background in mathematical programming
- has an interest and skills in computer programming (in MATLAB, C++)
- is ambitious, self-motivated, and cooperative
- is able to communicate in English
- is able to function in a research group and willing to assist in the organization of research meetings, symposia,etcetera.
Terms of employment:
According to the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) for Dutch Universities, a PhD candidate (promovendus) receives a starting salary of € 2.042.– gross per month in the first year. The university offers very good fringe benefits (it is one of the best non-profit employers in the Netherlands), such as an options model for terms and conditions of employment and excellent reimbursement of moving expenses. The position can be either for a duration of three or four years, depending on the qualifications and wishes of the candidate. The starting date is negotiable, but can be as early as September 1st, 2010.
Specific information about the vacancy can be obtained from:
- Prof. Etienne de Klerk, Tilburg University. Tel: +31 13 466 2031 email: e.deklerk[ at ]uvt.nl
- Dr. Renata Sotirov, Tilburg University. Tel: +31 13 466 3178, email: r.sotirov[ at ]uvt.nl
Applications including a curriculum vitae and two reference letters must be submitted before June 25th, 2010 to e.deklerk[ at ]uvt.nl
The most promising candidates will be invited for an interview around the end of June 2010.
- PhD Studentship in Natural Logic and Linguistic Semantics, Tilburg University, Netherlands
- Tilburg University Scholarship for Academic Excellence, Netherlands
- PhD in Computational Logic and Natural Reasoning, Tilburg University, Netherlands
- PhD Studentships in Quantitative Methods / Logistics, University of Vienna, Austria
- School of Business and Economics (SBE) non-EU Scholarship, Maastricht University, Netherlands
- PhD Positions in Operations Research and Business Statistics, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
- PhD Research Construction Management & Stabilization, University of Twente, Netherlands
- International Master in Service Engineering (IMSE), Erasmus Mundus, Europe
- Complete List of Dutch Institutions Offering PhD Studies
- PhD Studentships in Telemonitoring Technologies, University of Twente, The Netherlands