Department of Chemistry at Umeå University conducts research in the areas of biological chemistry, environmental biogeochemistry and technical chemistry. The department has a strong focus on interdisciplinary work and has good access to modern analytical instrumentation and facilities.
A PhD position (4 years) in surface chemistry and metal coordination is open in an interdisciplinary project. Within the larger research project, the research for the PhD position will focus on development of functionalized polymer surfaces using novel antibacterial agents as well as determination of physicochemical properties of biologically active metal complexes. The successful applicant will synthesize different types of functional surfaces from components such as polymers, small molecules and metal ion complexes.
Main work description
- Equilibrium experiments and calculations for determining the speciation of small molecules and ions.
- Synthesis, development and characterization of different surface coatings.
- Chemical evaluation and characterization of aging and leaching effects on synthesized surfaces.
Experience with surface analysis techniques, polymer synthesis, polymer functionalisation, determination of metal ion speciation and/or equilibrium calculations is a merit. We will also evaluate the candidates with regards to their suitability to the research program, their creativity, power of initiative, independence and ability to collaborate.
The applicants must have completed a university degree in chemistry or completed courses with a minimum of 240 ECTS, of which 60 ECTS should be chemistry courses at advanced level, or equivalent competence *). Good English language skills, concerning both oral and writing skills.
A complete application should include:
- Cover letter with your motivation for the position
- CV including a list of university courses with grades
- A copy of your graduate work (if applicable)
- A list of publications or other documents supporting your competence and suitability for the position
- Names and contact details of two persons willing to act as references.
Your complete application, marked with reference number 313-1073-10, should be sent to email@example.com (state the reference number as subject) or to the Registrar, Umeå University, SE-901 87 Umeå, Sweden to arrive December 20, 2010 at the latest.
The position is scheduled to start February 1, 2011.
- PhD in Physical Chemistry, Lund University, Sweden
- PhD Positions in Organic Chemistry, University of Paderborn, Germany
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Neural Developmental Biology, Umeå University, Sweden
- PhD Scholarships in Organic Synthesis & Polymer Chemistry, DTU Nanotech, Denmark
- PhD Student in ICT, Media and Learning, Umeå University, Sweden
- PhD Studentship in Theoretical Physics, Umeå University, Sweden
- PhD Scholarship in Analytical Chemistry, Lund University, Sweden
- Postdoctoral Researcher In Organic Chemistry, Hasselt University, Belgium
- PhD Position in Geophysics at Mines ParisTech, France
- Fully Funded PhD Studentship, Dendrimer Synthesis, Monash University, Australia