Uppsala University hereby declares the following position to be open for application:
Four PhD positions in interdisciplinary mathematics
The Centre for Interdisciplinary Mathematics (CIM) at Uppsala University conducts innovative interdisciplinary research between the mathematical sciences and other areas of science and industry. CIM offers training and expertise in mathematical modelling and computer simulation. We are now looking for four PhD students to work within the centre and to form the second intake to a graduate school in Interdisciplinary Mathematics.
Duties: The PhD students will work with an interdisciplinary research project, supervised by at least two PhD advisors working in different research disciplines. Ideally, at least one of these disciplines should be in the mathematical sciences, which here includes mathematical statistics, computational science and control systems. The second research discipline should have a connection to complex and dynamical systems, such as those found in physics, chemistry, biology, economics, finance etc.
PhD students will be expected to engage actively in the activities of the centre and the graduate school, i.e. seminars, scientific consultation and so on. They will be required to take at least 30hp (6 months full time study) PhD level mathematics and modelling courses offered by the mathematics and scientific computing departments.
Eligibility: The candidates are expected to have an interest in applied mathematics and/or using models in an interdisciplinary context. A PhD student position requires a Master of Science in a field that is relevant for conducting research in applied mathematics, e.g. mathematics, engineering physics or scientific computing. Candidates with a background in another area of science, e.g. chemistry or biology, with a strong competence and interest in mathematical modeling are also encouraged to apply.
Acceptance as a PhD student within the Centre for Interdisciplinary Mathematics will be subject to the condition of acceptance by an appropriate Uppsala University department into a PhD research programme. The candidates should be able to start during the spring semester of 2012 or the summer 2012.
The rules governing the process of enrollment as a PhD student can be found (in Swedish) in Högskoleförordningen 5 kap 1-7 §§, in addition to the university’s rules and guidelines http://regler.uu.se/.
Further information: For suggested research projects and research areas see the centre’s webpages at www2.math.uu.se/cim. Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact a potential supervisor at Uppsala University to discuss research projects before submitting their applications. A letter of support from the potential supervisor outlining the research project and the relevance to Interdisciplinary Mathematics is required in order for an application to be considered.
For more general information, please contact Professor David Sumpter ((+46) 018 - 471 32 14, email@example.com), Professor Kersti Hermansson ((+46) 018 - 471 37 67, firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Elisabeth Larsson ((+46) 018 – 471 27 68, email@example.com). Union representatives are Anders Grundström, Saco, +46 (0)18-471 5830, Carin Söderhäll, TCO/ST, +46 (0)18-471 1996 and Stefan Djurström Seko, +46 (0)18-471 3315.
How to apply: The application should include the following documents:
- Your Curriculum Vitae (maximum 2 pages)
- Transcript of grades confirming eligibility to a PhD student position at the chosen department.
- List of publications (if any)
- A copy of your undergraduate or master thesis
- An essay of about 500 words about your research project
- A letter of support (maximum one page) from your first or second advisor outlining the research project and the relevance to Interdisciplinary Mathematics.
- References and recommendation letters (optional)
- All other documents that you want to be considered in this competition
Applications should be directed to the online system by 22 December, 2011, UFV-PA 2011/2806.
For more information, please visit official website: www2.personalavd.uu.se.
- PhD Studentship in Muscle Physiology, Uppsala University, Sweden
- PhD Positions in Statistics, Uppsala University, Sweden
- PhD Position in Molecular Medicine, Medical Science, Uppsala University, Sweden
- PhD Scholarships and Postdoc Positions in Mechanical Sensors and Vehicles for Oral Drug Delivery, DTU, Denmark
- PhD Student Positions, San Diego State University, California, USA
- PhD in Experimental Nuclear Physics, Uppsala University, Sweden
- PhD in Music Psychology, Uppsala University, Sweden
- PhD Scholarships in Architectural Sciences, University of Rome, Italy
- PhD Positions in Business Administration, Stockholm University, Sweden
- PhD Studentships, Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications (DIMAP), University of Warwick, UK
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.